My dad's old Welsbro Chrono

Thread: My dad's old Welsbro Chrono

My dad's old Welsbro Chrono

Hello and thanks for hosting this watch forum. This is my first post.

I have my dad's old Welsbro Chrono that is very old. The back of the watch has the following:579962 and under that number there is: 1375.

It is a stainless case with two clickers on the right side. The chrono works for a while then stops after about 2-3 minutes. The watch also runs for a while and then stops after about an hour or so.

My question is," What is the value of this watch movement?" The watch is in poor condition, with a broken crystal. Id like to have it restored and keep it, but am not sure of the quality of the movement and whether it is worth spending the money to restore it. There is no real sentimental value here, as my dad's other watches are the real keepers. (2 Breitling AOPA Navitimers). Thanks for your help...:thanks

Re: My dad's old Welsbro Chrono

You'll be advised to read the stickies at the top of the forum; there are no valuations done here (or on any decent vintage watch forum, really), becuase it really is impossible to say. Chrongraphs (even cheap ones) tend to retain their value very well, so it all depends on how much it would cost to repair this one. It sounds like it's just dirty, but decent service on a chronograph will usually run in excess of $100.

If you can post some pictures (especially of the movement under the caseback, we can give you a fair idea of the quality of the watch and movement, and you can base your next steps on that.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You'll be advised to read the stickies at the top of the forum; there are no valuations done here (or on any decent vintage watch forum, really), becuase it really is impossible to say. Chrongraphs (even cheap ones) tend to retain their value very well, so it all depends on how much it would cost to repair this one. It sounds like it's just dirty, but decent service on a chronograph will usually run in excess of $100.

If you can post some pictures (especially of the movement under the caseback, we can give you a fair idea of the quality of the watch and movement, and you can base your next steps on that.

Rob, thanks,,Ok, let me rephrase, is this movement a low quality or a high quality movement? Who makes the movement? jeweled?, Valjoux #, Venus? I cant get a good closeup pic with my camera,so can't post a pic. Can it be looked up in a reference book by the numbers on the back of the case? I open the back and there is nothing on the movement except Welsbro Swiss. ? I did find the letters WXE on the timing adjustment.

Not interested in $$$ value, or how much it's worth at the local pawn shop, that is irrelevant and irreverent. Trying to discern if this is a quality watch movement worth repairing as a keeper or not.

thanks
    Last edited by cyberfly; January 14th, 2010 at 15:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't worry too much about "closeup"; as long as the movement is in focus, the experts around here can give you a good idea just by the general shape and layout.

I don't think Welsbro was a prolific enough brand for there to be too much in ways of reference books. Suggart 2002 only shows one, and it's not a Chrono. Ranfft's archive doesn't show any (that I could find), while Ebay shows no Welsbro chrono's currently for sale, but has one completed sale (http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-1940s-SWISS-SUISSE-CHRONOGRAPH-WELSBRO_W0QQitemZ300381390969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWr istwatches?hash=item45f0204879)

If the movement in yours looks anything like this one, that gives you a bit of an indication (although with a sample size of 1, take it with a grain of salt).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Rob, thanks for that link to EBAY. Unbelievable, my Welsbro is exactly like the one on EBAY, except that my dial is white instead of black. Same face, 2 dials, stainless case, pushers, etc. Now we know a little more about it anyway. Im not familiar with a Landeron movement, what is the quality of these???
    What would you charge to clean it and determine if it needed anything else???

thanks ron

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfly View Post
    Im not familiar with a Landeron movement, what is the quality of these???
    See this thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=landeron

and Roland Ranfft's posts in it.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Great thread, very good info. Thanks for the reference link. I need to determine if there is a problem with the watch or if it is just dirty and needs cleaning. I would like to have the crystal replaced though. I did find out that this was the watch that my dad wore in the Korean war, he was pilot. My sister has a picture of him wearing it while he was sitting in his plane. So the sentimental value has risen somewhat. I also am a pilot (private not commercial) and may consider using it when I fly. Pilots, especially me, are superstitious by nature, and this watch has a good history with it.

I need to get prices for repairs and cleaning..thanks ron

Thread Information