My Elgin Pocket Watch, my pics for your info please!

Thread: My Elgin Pocket Watch, my pics for your info please!

My Elgin Pocket Watch, my pics for your info please!

I was given this lovely pocket watch as a gift from my Dad at Christmas. While I consider my self very much a WIS, I know very little about pocket watches and even less about this one in specific. I do think its quite nice at any rate and I've taken some pictures to show it off.

My research puts this around 1920 and that the dial is considered a 24 hour "Canadian Railroad Dial". Its gold filled, and the movement is probably nickel plated with gold inlay. It's 21 jewels.

Any information on it would be helpful, history, period etc. Anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by Drez; January 4th, 2010 at 18:19.
    Collection:

*Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic Twin Time (WV2115)
    *Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (2503.33.00)
    *Vintage 1956 Junghans Chronometer Cal. 82/1 (682.73)

*Sunnto Core Lava Red Positive Dial (SS016788000
    )
    *Casio Super Illuminator (MDV102-7a)
    *Vintage 1983 Seiko SQ (6923-7009)

*Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos Cal 528-8 Mantle Clock

Re: My Elgin Pocket Watch, my pics for your info please!

Lovely Elgin with a 21 jewel Veritas movement and a double sunk dial. The link below will give you more information on the movement simply by entering the serial number. The movement is marked as adjusted. Unfortunately I can't read the text directly below it or the serial number.

http://www.trusted-forwarder.org/elg..._sn_intro.html
    Last edited by John MS; January 4th, 2010 at 19:41.

If I'm reading the serial number right, the elgin watch site lists it as:
    16092180 16092001 1000 ? 1911 375* 16s o3n15l 21j A5P r mb

That's an 16 size open-face, 3/4 plate, lever-set, 21jewel watch adjusted to 5 positions with Nickel damasking, a "railroad patent regulator", and a "Motor Barrel".

Which translates loosely into an extremely sweet railroad grade pocketwatch!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow. thanks you guys, this has been extremely helpful.

I guess the foreshortening of the shots really reduces the legibility, probably should have gone function over form but I thought it looks really nice and the artistic side of me got the better of it it seems:)

The text reads:

Veritas
    Elgin Ills USA
    21 jewels
    s/n
    Adjusted 5 Positions
    Safety Barrel

It looks like you've read the s/n correctly, that website is a very helpful resource!

It wound up and ran like a charm (albeit pretty fast), not too shabby for a 100 year old piece of history. I'm sure it would benefit from a service though.

Regarding this "safety barrel" or "motor barrel", is this a pocket watch rough equivalent to Incabloc? I understand it adds some resistance should the main spring break and additional preventative advantages for shocks as well. Is this about right?
    Collection:

*Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic Twin Time (WV2115)
    *Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (2503.33.00)
    *Vintage 1956 Junghans Chronometer Cal. 82/1 (682.73)

*Sunnto Core Lava Red Positive Dial (SS016788000
    )
    *Casio Super Illuminator (MDV102-7a)
    *Vintage 1983 Seiko SQ (6923-7009)

*Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos Cal 528-8 Mantle Clock

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Wow. thanks you guys, this has been extremely helpful.

I guess the foreshortening of the shots really reduces the legibility, probably should have gone function over form but I thought it looks really nice and the artistic side of me got the better of it it seems:)

The text reads:

Veritas
    Elgin Ills USA
    21 jewels
    s/n
    Adjusted 5 Positions
    Safety Barrel

It looks like you've read the s/n correctly, that website is a very helpful resource!

It wound up and ran like a charm (albeit pretty fast), not too shabby for a 100 year old piece of history. I'm sure it would benefit from a service though.

Regarding this "safety barrel" or "motor barrel", is this a pocket watch rough equivalent to Incabloc? I understand it adds some resistance should the main spring break and additional preventative advantages for shocks as well. Is this about right?
    Motor or safety barrel are one in the same - the spring is wound by turning the barrel and the arbor powers the movement. It's reason for being was to reduce the chances of damage from a broken mainspring.

Glad to read that it runs well. If you are going to use it, I would have cleaning and reoiling performed. Those old railroad movements are truly beautiful little machines. Fancy turning, scrolling, large jewels, gold settings and that big screwed balance flying back and forth. Wow! The decoration of modern watches pales in comparison!!

I think the members have IDd this lovely Elgin RR grade for you really well. It's a classic.
    Pocket watches from this era have no shock dust or water protection so you should get a chain for it and be careful when wearing it. And please get it serviced.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information