My evolution to POCKET WATCH COLLECTOR

Thread: My evolution to POCKET WATCH COLLECTOR

My evolution to POCKET WATCH COLLECTOR

This spring-summer I made an unplanned transition from mostly modern wristwatch collector to vintage pocket watch collector. My fun started in the usual places: pawn shops and other scavenger spots around town. I would see an occasional pocket watch and knowing next to nothing I really didn't give them much thought. But, I became interested in a few I saw... not really because of their collectible value, but more for an advantage I saw in their precious metal content. Pawn shops had virtually no interest in figuring out actual precious metal weight vs. movement weight. The sad part is that, because of this, they probably didn't pay much of anything for them then marked them way up. But this also means there is plenty of room to dicker and negotiate when purchasing. I started slowly acquiring vintage gold watches at well under their precious metal value. Did I know much about the watches?... no, but I really only needed to know that my money was more than safe... barring a major crash in the metals market. I DO, however have an appreciation for antique items, craftsmanship, history of manufacturing etc etc... and of course WATCHES. The first watch I purchased was actually silver. I spent maybe $50 and took it to my watch repair expert who also turned out to be a pocket watch collector. He was thoroughly unimpressed. I told him I really didn't care that the watch itself had little or no collectible significance or value. I told him the watch was a "very cool and interesting" object to look at for the price of it's silver content. I was challenged a bit, though, by the fact that I really had NO idea what I was buying apart from the metal and took it is a challenge to find something that not only was made of good stuff on the outside, but also on the inside. So gradually I started ignoring all the wristwatches and naturally gravitated to that which had offered much more reward.. at least for me. In the last few months I have found lots of odds and ends and have pretty much developed an insatiable appetite for learning more with every new purchase. I cant keep them all, but I enjoy the brief time I have handling and learning about them. I still don't know sh-t, but I know more each day and love the limitless journey. Here are a few that I have picked up in the process:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My evolution to POCKET WATCH COLLECTOR

Very nice eclectic collection, all very nice and good quality watches.

Frankly I collect PWs for their movements and while good case condition is a plus I won't be stopped by a case showing brass if the price is right and it's a movement I want. I will not pay for a solid gold case in today's market. I buy not to invest, but to enjoy the watch for its horological interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ron in pa View Post
    very nice eclectic collection, all very nice and good quality watches.
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pocket watches got me into collecting. But I too have generally avoided solid gold cases... watches so encased are dead men walking so I should be trying to save them. But the same movements are found in casing priced so that I can get several for the price of a gold case.

BTW, the metals market has crashed in the past.

Nice collection. Pocket watches are so much fun to watch
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Some of your watches are very desirable, good choice. Although I am very interested in cases the movement is most important to me. At the current all time high gold price I only look for silver/gold filled/silveroid cased watches, the exception was a 0 size 14K Waltham I got for my wife a few weeks back.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Cool stuff. I haven't yet taken the plunge into pocket watches, but I really do want to. I have a feeling the first one will lead to a story like yours. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone... I HAVE evolved past the case, however :) This Hamilton 23 chronograph movement is housed in a well worn base metal case. I would have had to be missing a heartbeat not to fall in love with that movement. The chronometer movement inside the 18k longines wasn't so bad either
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information