My Father's Lucien Piccard
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Father's Lucien Piccard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

My Father's Lucien Piccard

My father graduated High School in 1961. To commemorate the occasion, and to give him something nice to take with him to college, my grandparents gave him this watch. The condition is excellent, as he only wore it for dressier occasions, and by 1972 a Rolex Day-date President took it's place for daily wear. From that point on, it sat in a jewelry box until last week, when he gave it to me. As a kid I remember it being in the box, and I'd wind it, and listen to it tick, and then quickly put it back before he realized I'd been playing with it. It used to seem huge, but it's only about 32mm wide.

The case is 14kt, with a manual wind movement. The crystal is rather tall. It's flat on top, but concave on the inside, and with facets cut along it's edge...something that I've never seen before on any other watch. Right now it's running well, but I will have it cleaned and serviced, since nothing has ever been done to it. The band is original to the watch, and has a 2 inch, twist-o-flex type expansion area on the bottom, so you can get it over your hand.

Anyway...enough of the description, and on to the pics.

Name:  October20100001_20.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  168.5 KB

Name:  October20100001_18.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  153.5 KB

Name:  October20100001_19.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  October20100001_17.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  154.9 KB
    ImitationOfLife likes this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: My Father's Lucien Piccard

Very similar in style to one I owned. More for the starburst brushed gold bezel.

"My grail showed up today"

So it's never been serviced?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    So it's never been serviced?
    Never, but it's headed to the watchmaker today.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

A gorgeous watch - I don't think I've seen one quite like it before. Nice to see its being given a bit of tlc and enjoying its status as a family heirloom.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I really like the scripting on the dial. That is a beauty, glad you'll be giving it the wrist time it deserves.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Thanks guys for the nice comments! There's something really special about wearing a family heirloom, and it gives you a feeling like no other watch can...no matter how expensive.

I did take it to my watchmaker today, but he declined to work on it. He said that if it was keeping good time, and since I only planned to wear it a couple of time a month at the most, that I should just leave it alone. What do you guys think?

I also had two people ask me about it while in the shop, and this shop sells Rolex, B&M, Mont Blanc, Tag Heuer plus some others. One was a customer who was standing there beside me at the counter, and the other was the shop's manager. Both wanted to know where they could find one.

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    I did take it to my watchmaker today, but he declined to work on it. He said that if it was keeping good time, and since I only planned to wear it a couple of time a month at the most, that I should just leave it alone. What do you guys think?
    Honestly, I think you should take it to another watchmaker. If it hasn't been serviced in decades, even if it is working properly now, getting it oiled could prevent any damage from wearing it now. Surprised your watchmaker wouldn't recommend that at the very least.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Absolutely agree. A service while its running OK is a must.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Avoid that 'watchmaker' for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Thanks guys for the nice comments! There's something really special about wearing a family heirloom, and it gives you a feeling like no other watch can...no matter how expensive.

I also had two people ask me about it while in the shop, and this shop sells Rolex, B&M, Mont Blanc, Tag Heuer plus some others. One was a customer who was standing there beside me at the counter, and the other was the shop's manager. Both wanted to know where they could find one.
    mrsnak likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information