My first 3 Pocket Watches that got me hooked! Howard, Illinois "Bunn Special" & Waltham

Thread: My first 3 Pocket Watches that got me hooked! Howard, Illinois "Bunn Special" & Waltham

My first 3 Pocket Watches that got me hooked! Howard, Illinois "Bunn Special" & Waltham

I acquired these watches quite a few years ago. I fell in love with the movements! It was fascinating to see them work. Ever since then I've been buying vintage watches. I would just buy them to stare at them once in a while. My wife thought I was nuts! My buying has been quiet for a couple of years until I found this site. Now I'm back at it. I have renewed enthusiasm thanks to you guys. The knowledge on this board amazes me. My questions get answered so quickly making this hobby lots of fun.

I have studied up on these watches, but I'm sure there is much more to them. So if anyone can offer anymore history about them I would love to hear it. Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My first 3 Pocket Watches that got me hooked! Howard, Illinois "Bunn Special" & Waltham

If one looks at wage levels, the price on the Howard is the equivalent to the price of a Patek today ... and I suspect it is as good as any Patek made during Howard's era. To me that means it's a bargain.

Of course similar arguments can be made for the other two pieces... good pocket watches are amazing values in many senses...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: My first 3 Pocket Watches that got me hooked! Howard, Illinois "Bunn Special" & Waltham

Nice pocket watches.
    I like Howards too and if Eeeb suspects that these are as good as contemporary Patek Philippes then
    they must be very very good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    If one looks at wage levels, the price on the Howard is the equivalent to the price of a Patek today ... and I suspect it is as good as any Patek made during Howard's era. To me that means it's a bargain.

Of course similar arguments can be made for the other two pieces... good pocket watches are amazing values in many senses...
    The Howard is easily my favorite pocket watch. The case is 18k. It took 3 months of an average salary to purchase one at that time. I have yet to buy a Patek, although it's next on my list. I was thinking of buying on the Bay, but now I'm scared to get one in case it's fake or "frankenized".

Thread Information