My First Elgin Pocket Watch

Thread: My First Elgin Pocket Watch

My First Elgin Pocket Watch

Today I purchased my first Elgin pocket watch at the local flea-market; incidently, from the very lady who sold me my Ball RR pocket-watch.

Details:

Case: GF (Doesn't say this, but it looks gold-filled from the wear that I can see around the crown. Caseback says: "EMPRESS" (crown picture) "A.W.c. Co". Screw back & bezel.
    Dial: A couple of hairlines, but not majorly damaged. Hindu-arabic numerals.
    Hands: All present and accounted for.
    Setting & Winding: Stem/Stem.
    S/N: 21335248 = 1918.
    Jewels: 15.
    Movement: "Elgin Nat.l. Watch Co. U.S.A. 15 Jewels. 21335248." Has a micrometer regulator.
    Size:...16, I think.
    Last edited by Shangas; April 4th, 2010 at 04:28.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Re: My First Elgin Pocket Watch

Congrats, we need pictures! Your Elgin is a 16s grade 313 which was a very popular model and long runner (1903 to 1935). Here it is in a sales catalog from 1917:
    http://elginwatches.org/scans/sales_...g/m_pg_E5.html
    The case is from American Watch Case Co (Toronto, Canada), and as you say the Empress model is gold filled.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Re: My First Elgin Pocket Watch

Hi Erik, thanks for the wonderful information!!

I do apologise for not providing pictures with my original post. Things are rather hectic at home at the moment, what with room-painting going on, and my father and I were busy shifting furniture and cleaning and stuff all day. Things will quiet-down a bit soon, since my parents are going out with friends to enjoy an Eater dinner together. I will post photographs then, once the house is a bit more relaxed.

Photos:

Last edited by Shangas; April 4th, 2010 at 10:21.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information