My First Helbros Incoming

Thread: My First Helbros Incoming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

My First Helbros Incoming

I know absolutely nothing about the movement of the watch I just bought. It runs according to the seller, which is the only thing he knows about the watch. The dial looks near mint, but what really interested me was the box. I love collecting vintage watches with their box.

Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; September 5th, 2010 at 04:33.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Re: My First Helbros Incoming

Boxes from the Helbros end of the market are less likely to survive and are quite rare, especially in this condition. That makes me hope this is not a redial as it looks nice in the pic.

The real test is always in the hand.

Which is an example that allows me to remind folks (not you Emmanuel!) why we don't do valuations here in an online forum...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Nice little pick up there EG, especially with the box

I've not heard much at all about this brand tbh, so it's nice to see something different!!

I think you should do a group shot of your watches at some point, if you can squeeze them all in that is

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Boxes from the Helbros end of the market are less likely to survive and are quite rare, especially in this condition. That makes me hope this is not a redial as it looks nice in the pic.

The real test is always in the hand.

Which is an example that allows me to remind folks (not you Emmanuel!) why we don't do valuations here in an online forum...
    The dial looks too exact to be a redial. However, if it is a redial I would venture to say it was expertly done. The watch came from an estate sale where the watches were kept away from sunlight and such. The seller had quite a few watches that looked mint. As you said the real test will be when it is in hand.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    Nice little pick up there EG, especially with the box

I've not heard much at all about this brand tbh, so it's nice to see something different!!

I think you should do a group shot of your watches at some point, if you can squeeze them all in that is
    The company was started in 1913, the name actually comes from its founders, the Helbein Brothers. They were Swiss German watchmakers who set out with one goal being to design and manufacture a quality timepiece that could be made affordable to the working public.I think the company is now owned by Jules Jurgensen which in turn is owned by an American Mort Clayman. Hey for $40 I couldn't let a piece of history pass me by.

-- John Maynard Keynes

You'll find that Helbros is all over the map for quality. They sourced from many different suppliers but also owned a couple of Swiss assembly plants. In a way their business model was similar to todays Invicta. You really will not know what you bought until you open the back.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    You'll find that Helbros is all over the map for quality. They sourced from many different suppliers but also owned a couple of Swiss assembly plants. In a way their business model was similar to todays Invicta. You really will not know what you bought until you open the back.
    I'm going to guess that it's a Lorsa P72A

bidfun-db Lorsa_P72A: Lorsa P72A

I received the watch today. The movement has not been serviced in over 20 years I would guess. It will be going to the shop soon. Also, this is my first watch marked French besides being my first Helbros.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; September 9th, 2010 at 18:52.

-- John Maynard Keynes

Congrats~That dial really does look in mint condition, cheers!

That looks a lot like a 7 jewel Waltham I got a few months ago.(French Manufacture) It has a snap on back, came with a box too and the face looks very similar to yours. By the way it tells very good time. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information