My first pocket watch

Thread: My first pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first pocket watch

Hello everybody, well this is my first pocket watch. I was my grandfathers, he was born in 1900 and died in 1979 so when he aquired it is anybodys geuss. It has scribed on the back F E Taylor or R & Taylor. I know to identify this watch it would be usefull to remove the back to see the movement, but one of the two small screws holding it on will not move. If nobody can help I will take it to a jewelers to get the back removed and photograph the movement. Any help would be greatley appreciated, many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My first pocket watch

You should be able to open the dust cover with a sharp knife or case opener. It's likely hinged and should snap open and nest inside the caseback.
    All I can tell you now is that it's a key-wind, which probably dates it before 1890. We need to see the movement to help you further.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for your reply, I have determined that the dial hinges forward to reveal the back, i hope the attached images help, thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well you are getting there but what we see now is the dust cap. There is a little crescent shaped catch at 11 0'clock in the photo. Try moving that over to the left and see if the cap comes off.
    I think we are looking at an English made watch manufactured prior to 1875.
    Also take some photos of the hallmarks on the inside of the case dust cover. I can't read them from your photo and those are often useful in dating the case anyway.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks very much, I would not have been able to do this without your help. I think the watchmaker is Adam Burdess or Bundess from Coventry, England. The number inside is 24828. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by john1967 View Post
    Thanks very much, I would not have been able to do this without your help. I think the watchmaker is Adam Burdess or Bundess from Coventry, England. The number inside is 24828. I hope this helps.
    I know nothing - but it looks good to me! See:

http://www.hamptonandlittlewood.co.u...007/page12.htm

Lot 343:

"Adam Burdess is recorded as working in Coventry from 1868 until 1887 as a watchmaker, jeweller and tricycle maker."

Thats interesting, thanks a lot

Good news and bad news.
    First the bad news. Since Mr. Burdess has sadly been out of business for over 120 years, the serial number won't be of much use to date the movement.
    Now the good news. The silver hallmarks are from Chester, dated 1877 AND the case and movement numbers match. So the case is original and the watch was in all probability made around 1877 in Coventry England.
    This is a lovely antique and you need to take it to a very competent watchmaker to get it checked over and serviced if possible. Do not attempt to wind and run it for any length of time as it is invariably dry and in need of lubrication.
    If you can't afford to get it serviced right now, put it away and don't use it until you can. You don't want to mess it up by running it dry.
    I guess I was out a couple of years on my first guess. Sorry. :oops:
    Thanks Marrick for the link and useful info.

Thanks a lot, I was wondering about winding it up or not, in fact that was going to be my next post.

Quote Originally Posted by john1967 View Post
    The silver hallmarks are interesting... the case is British Sterling assayed in Chester. The date code is either 1832 or 1877 or 1897... here is the list so you can decide for yourself. I think it's 1832...

"By 1850 there were 2000 watchmakers in Coventry" but I find nothing on the one you mention. Others may be more successful.

Addition: Ah, I see our esteemed moderators were more successful than I!!!
    Last edited by Eeeb; January 21st, 2008 at 20:05. Reason: addition
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information