My First Pocket Watch Restoration

Thread: My First Pocket Watch Restoration

Hello All,

I have just received my first pocket watch in post today it's an ingersoll triumph and although bought as spares it does run but only dial down. I am assuming it needs a strip and clean then oiling to help with this.

I was going to decorate the movement etc but unsure if I should do this as it may ruin the rustic charm. What do you think?

Cheers,

Colin

Re: My First Pocket Watch Restoration

It's what's known as a "dollar watch"; cheap, durable but ultimately disposable watches made by a variety of companies over the past hundred or so years. Everything about them was designed to make them easy to manufacture, which unfortunately make them extremely difficult to "service". If your goal is to learn how to service vintage watches, I can't recommend starting with one of these, as you're going to find it far more work then can be justified by the watch itself, and much of what you learn won't be transferable to other types of watches.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the info, I don't mind servicing g this just for fun not worried about finished value. I will have a look for others though with better movements. Any suggestions on a watch that would be good to learn on without costing a fortune please?

Cheers,

Colin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pej

These are terrible movements to service, I'd recommend getting a watch with a somewhat higher grade movement to practise on, just because they are a hell of a lot easier to put back together than this.

I personally just throw these out if I get any in a repair lot. It's absolutely not a fun movement to work on.

Yes agree these are hard to put back together, some people out there just clean them with lighter fluid and use an oil pen to get them going again, lets face it if it didnt work for them no such loss as they are only cheap.

Thread Information