My first pocket watch: Tissot Lepine.

Thread: My first pocket watch: Tissot Lepine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture My first pocket watch: Tissot Lepine.

Hello All,

I am excited and anticipating the arrival of my first venture into the world of pocket watches... A +/- 20 year-old Tissot lepine.

(images courtesy of the vendor)

From what I understand, this piece was purchased in Europe around 20 years ago, and used infrequently. Unfortunately, the papers are long gone.

I am a complete neophyte in this realm, but I have learned that this is a Lepine style, and probably used the Unitas 649X base ebauche. As it is from a relatively pedestrian brand, I assume the movement is not very elaborate but should be reliable and easy to service / maintain. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of the movement, but will add them ASAP.

I've tried to find out some information about this watch on through Google etc.. but there isn't much out there. Any information you could provide or confirm, would be much appreciated!

Thanks, in advance,
    Wallace
    Last edited by ohmegah; January 17th, 2010 at 02:49. Reason: additional info
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

Re: My first pocket watch: Tissot Lepine.

Oooh hoo!

Now that's purdy! A fine, clear, easy to read, accurate pocket watch made by a quality watchmaker. That case is almost too shiny to be legal. What is it? Silver? Stainless Steel?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Oooh hoo!

Now that's purdy! A fine, clear, easy to read, accurate pocket watch made by a quality watchmaker. That case is almost too shiny to be legal. What is it? Silver? Stainless Steel?
    Thanks for your enthusiastic response! That makes me feel much better about this purchase! :thanks

From what I understand (or, am led to believe) the case is chrome plated, stainless steel. The vendor purchased the watch new, and never used it. It sat in a drawer in it's original box for the better part of 25 years... Apparently it's never been opened. However, the vendor's native language was not English, and he tried the best he could to describe it. My comprehension may have suffered in the translation, but the photos looked too good to pass-up

I had been on the lookout for a simple, clean, legible, hand-winding pocket watch to sit on my desk in my office, and I jumped on this one when I spotted it. I didn't pay that much for it and, as I figure it's an Unitas movement, a full service should still be reasonable... I hope it's as good as it looks!

Best,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wallace, you got a real humdinger there. You should get a chain for it. If this is going to become a desk-clock, however, you might also want to buy a watch stand, or a watch dome. They look like this:

Naturally, they come in various different designs. Stands can be curved (like that one) or they can be rectangular. They could just be simple stands with legs (like some photograph stands). Domes can come with hooks in the dome so that the watch hangs down without anything inside the dome, or they come stands already inside the base of the dome (like the one above).

Stands keep the watch stable, presentable and clearly readable, but dust can collect on the watch. Watch-domes may make the watch a bit harder to read (the curvature of the glass, light-reflection, etc), but they will keep the watch almost certainly 100% dust-free. I wouldn't say that one is necessarily better than the other, but a watch-dome is probably the best if the watch is going to be sitting where it is, for extended periods of time. Watch-stands are more for temporary storage between use. Keep in mind also that your watch will need to be wound once a day to keep going consistently, so how easy it is to access the watch each morning may be a factor in your decision.
    Last edited by Shangas; January 17th, 2010 at 03:44.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Very nice; My one-year-old hunter says hi to his older brother. Tissot is one of the few swiss companies I could find making pocket watches for a reasonable price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the suggestions for a stand, Shangas. I've already been looking for one that is to my taste and suitable for the style of the watch. I think I've found one I like, but was concerned that it didn't protect the watch with a dome:

I'm not sure how critical that is, and I'd like to have easy access to the watch for the ritual of winding. Covering the watch with a dome would "mute" the watch's ticking sound, which I was hoping would ease the stresses of the work-day.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas!
    -Wallace

Hi Rob,

Nice looking Hunter you've got there!

How do you like it? Does it fill a role of daily user or is it in a rotation of others?

What movement is that and, is it a good timekeeper?

I agree: Tissot is one brand that still offers modern pieces at reasonable prices... I had considered buying new, but wasn't sure I wanted to invest that much in something that may be a passing fancy... I hope this isn't the case, but you never know

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
    Wallace

Hi Wallace,

If your intention is that this pocket watch should become a desk-clock (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do), then you will need a stand. Leaving a watch on a hard desktop means that it can fall off if it's bumped or it can get scratched or scuffed.

That stand you have there, looks just fine. And it matches the steel case of the watch very nicely. Just make sure that the base is nice and heavy and stable; you don't want your prized Tissot making a very quick trip to the floor below.

A dome might mute the ticking. It's not essential to have a dome, but some people like them for the extra protection. In my experience, mechanical pocket watches let out a VERY audiable ticking. When it's quiet at night, I can lie in bed and listen to my pocket watches ticking away on my desk on the other side of my room! It can sound very relaxing. Or incredibly irritating, depending on who you are.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I'm going to be a spoil sport, but mechanical watches tend to run fast if left suspended as they are with the holders pictured. Better if they can be solidly mounted.

Congrats on the new Tissot, I like the elegance of its simplicity. In my experience Unitas movements can be regulated to very good accuracy.

Mechanical watches tend to run fast if left suspended as they are with the holders pictured.

Mind explaining why, Ron?

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information