My first post
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: My first post

My first post

Hi! I am new to the world of watches and have started learning basic repair techniques etc in order to clean up some old watches.
    I would like to know if this watch (see images) would have much value if restored. And if it would be worth having the watch restored. It is an Avia swiss made 15 jewel manual wind movement. Without original strap.

As you can see in the pictures there is a crack in the crystal, seconds hand is missing and the face shows signs of ageing. As for the movement, I bought this originally as an educational project and am still in the process of putting it back together. It was fully functioning before it reached me so I will hopefully have it running again soon!
    Attachment 1147909
    Name:  Avia2.png
Views: 120
Size:  235.2 KB

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
    Last edited by callumr123; July 7th, 2013 at 21:56. Reason: Image overlap

Re: My first post

The first watch any watchmaker works in is almost always destroyed. Buy some cheap movements and hone your skills on those. It would be a shame to destroy this watch. It is too nice.
    callumr123 likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the forum. The watch is in decent ocondition - I have certainly seen a lot worse than that. You just need a new crystal (which is frequently the case in older watches anyway) and a new seconds hand. The dial looks rather good from here, rather better than many of that age (1950s).

The watch has an Adolf Schild Cal. 984 or derivative:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 984

...so it is realistically not worth doing up, at least not if you are looking for a profit after selling it. Doing it up yourself to sell (or wear) it won't work - experience has shown that almost everyone trashes their first few watches. It's unfortunately part of the learning process. On the one hand, the watch is mundane enough to say: it isn't really worth too much so you can sacrifice it. On the other hand, there are a lot more that are even more mundane, in worse cosmetic condition and therefore make better practicing material. My advice is: keep it stored, turn to pin lever watches and learn on those first.

Hartmut Richter
    callumr123 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thera are a lot of working junkers to learn on so please get one of those instead. I myself have watches as a hobby so if I get more for it then I gave it's a profit but if you count the time put into it it sure isn't worth it.
    Last edited by Shum; July 8th, 2013 at 11:14.

Welcome
    I have been studying Horology some 10 yrs, but only last year learned how to very basically repair (clean/service) a watch.
    I NEVER attempt to do anything to any piece that i 'love'
    Only on pcs you will not cry if you make an error.

Regards
    Eeeb likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hi and welcome for some reason I can only see 1 pic of the movement, I dont think you can earn a profit on it unless it was given to you at a very very cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Hi and welcome for some reason I can only see 1 pic of the movement, I dont think you can earn a profit on it unless it was given to you at a very very cheap price.
    I paid around £10 for it.

£10 is a good price for some minor work, if you are thinking of buying and selling though I wouldnt of bothered taking the movement apart I would of just changed the crystal and the hand. But if you are thinking of keeping it then worth doing up also good practice work esp at that price.

Thread Information