My first Roamer

Thread: My first Roamer

My first Roamer

Hi guys. I just got my first Roamer. I liked the dial so much that I got over the fact that the watch is not in its best condition.
    I think is a MST 352 movement from 50's 15 jewel
    The movement looks to be in a good shape and is running nice, a bit dusty as far I can see. The dial aged nicely but it sure needs a cleaning.
    Unfortunately the crystal has a big crack in the middle so for sure needs a replacement.
    As far as I could see, the case was gold plated, which 95% of it is gone, more then this the chrome underneath has visible wear also.
    I think the spring bars are fix on the case.

I was thinking the best choice is to search for a new case and use the movement instead of paying for a new crystal replacement and a tube of polywatch to polish the case.

What you guys think? I know is a Roamer expert around. Is the movement ok? or just a random like many others?

Thanks. ( sorry about pic quality.. Samsung seems to have crappy smartphone cameras)

And.. since I opened the thread, I spotted two models that I would like to have. Unfortunately this are the only pictures I got. Anybody can Identify them? 1st is a 6 jewels quartz with alarm - marked inside with PUW681A 683A. second one is a 17 jewels manual. I have no other info about it.
    Name:  roamer 6 jewels.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  33.6 KBName:  ROAMER  17 j calendar.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  63.9 KB
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; November 18th, 2013 at 19:57.

Re: My first Roamer

The 352 is a nice movement. The case will clean up, and you could get it replated. Dials are generally hard to clean, but possible in many cases with care. This is a beauty, so I hope it can be salvaged.

I can't add anything about the PUW.

As to the MST416 Calendar. Run away. One in good condition is something to cherish - that one has visited the mumbai spa, or similar. The dial bears no resemblence to original, and the case condition is awful. The movements are really good, and surprisingly considering the case and dial condition, the movement seems to have survived ok.

This is what they usually looked like when new (mine):

I would recommend in general looking for ones in better condition in general, it will cost less in the long run. Obviously you don't have to hunt for NOS models, but gently aged and cared for examples will over the longer term give more pleasure.

When I started out I used to buy things in terrible condition, I have slowly learnt, here's an OLMA tripple date auto I bought long ago:

I really wanted a bumper auto triple date, as they are pretty uncommon. I figured, how bad can it be. I assumed it was paint on the crystal, but no...

and half the movement was gone...

I am not so daring these days.

BTW, one day this OLMA will live again, but it was not worth the time or money.
    Last edited by trim; November 18th, 2013 at 21:08.

Hi trim. The man I was looking for :).
    Wow that's a.. don't really know how to call it. I would't have bought it,

Anyway thanks for the info. In the future I will be looking for better condition pieces.
    So you're saying I should just go for restore rather than search a NOS case. As for the other two, they are just web pictures taken from Vietnam ebay. Yours looks amazing. By the way, is that your website? And your Roamer collection?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Of the OLMA, I only had one blurry photo to go on, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it

As for your case, they are a standard size movement - but stem hight and lots of other little variable make it hard. I think replating is about $35 or so, so easier in that respect. Personally I have not yet had any replated, but I have a few candidates that I am dithering over.

Yes my website, yes - part of my collection. I have more, but I am a bit lazy about updating it.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

A very small part of the collection I suspect. I seem to recall for example that trim has a specific collection of those calendars but only the one appears on his site.

Some of us however have yet to properly learn the lesson of selective buying...

That NOS Mustang with black dial is so nice.

Well in NZ maybe.. in UK services are quite expensive. I have been recommended a watchmaker from one of the users here so I will go check it out.
    In this case I would need a new crystal as well since it has a crack just in the middle. I will take a picture with my camera after ill polish it a bit and put a new strap. As for the replating, I will get a quote and probably wait till I ll go with more. I got another watch waiting for same process.
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; November 18th, 2013 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    A very small part of the collection I suspect. I seem to recall for example that trim has a specific collection of those calendars but only the one appears on his site. Some of us however have yet to properly learn the lesson of selective buying...
    All true. I was thinking about this, and I believe you have a larger collection than me these days. I mean, yes you are right about the calendars, and I have 5 or 6 Alarms (2 on site) but I only put the best examples up - heh, but sometimes not even then. When will I ever add the MKII and MKIII Rockshells - so lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    That NOS Mustang with black dial is so nice
    Thanks. Yes, it is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    Well in NZ maybe.
    Actually I was talking about a Canadian business, replateit.com. They are pretty cheap and seem to do a good job, so I have heard. I'll probably send mine there if I eventually decide to.

Crystals can be bought for a few pounds, its not expensive. Personally I would replace the crystal, see what can be done with the dial, service the movement, and clean and lightly polish the case (as is) and wear it.
    Last edited by trim; November 18th, 2013 at 23:03.

Thread Information