my first seiko
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: my first seiko

my first seiko

so...i just got this piece..that comes with replacement bezel...(will keep the original though).

the crystal scratches all over. is it worth replacing the hardlex crystal? will it affect its value?

thinking about playing around with the strap. any suggestions?

as usual...thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk

Re: my first seiko

Personally I really can't see how badly the crystal is scratched from that photo, so it would be impossible to give you a subjective opinion. I can only say that if the crystal is badly enough scratched to be seriously distracting, and you can't polish out the scratches, then it is probably worth replacing it. As long as you are able to find an authentic crystal, I don't imagine it will affect the value of the watch too much, since crystals are the most often replaced part of the watch. On the other hand, if the only crystals available are aftermarket, then I would probably try harder to polish out the scratches and live with it.
    marcel2812 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

These are mineral glass, I think Seiko calls them Hardlux or something. They are difficult to polish and the results are usually marginal. I have replaced a few of

these, genuine Seiko crystals can be had, usually a little pricey. Reproductions are available, some not too shabby, others marginal.

I have a lot of issues with scratches that are bad enough to make it difficult to enjoy the original dial as it was intended, so off it would go.

Save the original glass in an envelope with the original bezel, and pass it on to the next owner. That's my two cents worth.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    These are mineral glass, I think Seiko calls them Hardlux or something. They are difficult to polish and the results are usually marginal. I have replaced a few of

these, genuine Seiko crystals can be had, usually a little pricey. Reproductions are available, some not too shabby, others marginal.

I have a lot of issues with scratches that are bad enough to make it difficult to enjoy the original dial as it was intended, so off it would go.

Save the original glass in an envelope with the original bezel, and pass it on to the next owner. That's my two cents worth.
    found one original on ebay at over 100 usd...after market at abit lesd then 50....well.....hard decision haha

Leave as is, gives the watch character and if it bugs you way too much later on then you can always replace it. Here is one of my Seiko watches, I was debating whether or not I wanted to replace the scratched crystal but after awhile I started to enjoy the beat up dive watch look. It's really a matter of opinion, replacing a crystal generally never hurts value at all. Also, a lot of Seiko fans are into modding their watches meaning a lot of the time they will put sapphire crystals in place of the hardlex.
    Name:  20160914_165235_resized.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  318.6 KB
    Last edited by Spartcom5; June 22nd, 2017 at 08:21.

I'd replace it, and i wouldn't care if it was a genuine Seiko crystal or not as long as it fits the watch.

If it's a flat crystal it's easy to polish but if it is a bit rounded then it's a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    If it's a flat crystal it's easy to polish but if it is a bit rounded then it's a pain.
    any advisr on how to polish it? it's flat

Thread Information