My first Verge Fusee!.... Any experts on these here?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My first Verge Fusee!.... Any experts on these here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Verge Fusee!.... Any experts on these here?

Hey forum members! Well, Ive been wanting a Fusee for a looong time, they were just out of my price range...until this one came along..and at a great price. Its in need of some serious TLC BUT the bones are there and I gave the balance wheel a little tap and it rotates freely and actually ticks for a few seconds...and the chain is intact and there. SOoooo.... question is, what do I do? Do I leave it be and appreciate its age, beauty and history, OR, should I find someone who can service/clean it up and get it running? The case looks to be silver to me but Im not too sure, not much in the way of markings other than what you see in the picture. The movement is unmarked as well. I am guessing by the square pillars that it is 1700's? Any additional info you all might have is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
    Name:  SAM_1246.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  73.2 KBName:  SAM_1239.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  63.1 KBName:  SAM_1240.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  55.1 KBName:  SAM_1238.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  80.3 KBName:  SAM_1241.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  75.5 KBName:  SAM_1242.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  77.0 KBName:  SAM_1243.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  54.4 KB
    busmatt and Paleotime like this.

Re: My first Verge Fusee!.... Any experts on these here?

Now you get to spend all the money you saved by buying cheap on repairs... alas. Such is the way of the world.
    busmatt and Mirius like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I think it is too cool to let it sit.. I would want to use it! It sounds like it may run if you have it cleaned, but what can you do about the dial? Might also be hard to find hands for it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Now you get to spend all the money you saved by buying cheap on repairs... alas. Such is the way of the world.
    Yeah, but isnt that why we are all here on this forum?.....the joy is in the journey, my friend... :)
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    I think it is too cool to let it sit.. I would want to use it! It sounds like it may run if you have it cleaned, but what can you do about the dial? Might also be hard to find hands for it.
    I agree! As far as the dial, as long as I can find some hands, the dial cracks and such dont bother me, it actually looks very cool, almost steam punk-ish... Ill get the movement serviced, get some hands and thats as far as Ill go, I like that old look, especially if it is 1700's... btw, anyone agree that this is 1700's? Thanks

I am no expert but the pillars (holding the bridges together) look 1800s English to me. It seems too thin to be 1700s.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I am no expert but the pillars (holding the bridges together) look 1800s English to me. It seems too thin to be 1700s.
    Yea, see, I wasnt sure if the pillars being squared meant much. Most of the ones Ive seen from the 1800's are round and the 1700's are square, but Im no expert either so I appreciate your input. Either way, its my oldest watch to date and Im determined to getting this historical piece back in running condition. Maybe someone out there works on these and give me some pointers on taking it apart and cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilinInTime View Post
    Yea, see, I wasnt sure if the pillars being squared meant much. Most of the ones Ive seen from the 1800's are round and the 1700's are square, but Im no expert either so I appreciate your input. Either way, its my oldest watch to date and Im determined to getting this historical piece back in running condition. Maybe someone out there works on these and give me some pointers on taking it apart and cleaning.
    I hope you have a lot of experience. The first few watches you work on usually die an unpleasant death...

is a French verge 1830/40 were called "montre Paysanne" peasant watch , because of fashion in small towns
    regards enrico
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eri231 View Post
    is a French verge 1830/40 were called "montre Paysanne" peasant watch , because of fashion in small towns
    regards enrico
    Hey, thank you for the info, Ill have to look that up and learn more. What makes you say 1830/40? Is there something about the watch that hints to this age? Im just trying to learn as much as I can about Fusee watches, Ive never owned one and am fascinated by them as they are so very different than all my other "newer" pocket watches. I mostly collect Waltham, Elgins, Hamiltons etc. Thanks again to all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information