My first vintage - lady Bulova

Thread: My first vintage - lady Bulova

My first vintage - lady Bulova

My wife doesn't really "get" the collecting thing, but I recently told her that since watches were important to me, I'd like to see her wearing a nice piece. She seemed to take to this approach, and we had some dialog about what she likes over the course of the last couple of months. It became clear early on that vintage pieces was what interested her. I was (still am) intimidated by that, but after a LOT of looking, and showing pictures to her to learn her tastes, I picked up this Deco era Bulova and feel pretty good about it.

The condition is quite nice, and the style is completely her taste. Of the 100 or so watches I ran past her, two patterns emerged. She uniformly enjoyed rectangular watches with dials that have an inner track, and went nuts for nearly every watch that had engravings. This hits both in spades. I love the spun dial as well. The original matching bracelet (I hope it fits - it's going to be close) and box complete the package. She has not seen this particular watch yet and I am so excited to give it to her! Enough rambling - here are the pics:

Last edited by JarrodS; December 10th, 2010 at 18:00.

Re: My first vintage - lady Bulova

Looks like it's from the 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Looks like it's from the 20's.
    Y, seller said ~1925. It's been serviced, and keeps good time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been trying to understand the market for vintage womens watches. What I've learned is that once a watch crosses into the jewelery niche women will wear them. This watch with it's art deco band and case definately fits the niche. The other style that seems to fit is the precious metal strap type watches 10mm and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    I've been trying to understand the market for vintage womens watches. What I've learned is that once a watch crosses into the jewelery niche women will wear them.
    My experience hunting down a timepiece for my wife is almost completely consistent with your statement. Once it was clear that she wanted vintage, I tried to get her into some nice 14K 1950's Rolex, Omega, Longines, Hamilton, etc. No interest at all in the timepiece aspect of it, even if it was cased in a precious metal. Put some artistic design elements on the case, dial, and/or decorate with some precious stones and that begins to get her attention. Pocket watches even work, as long as the case is decorated. For her, it's all about artistic elements and having something out of the ordinary.

The only "WIS"-type piece I found that she really liked was the JLC reverso, but she still greatly prefers the one in 14K with a row of diamonds above/below the dial. She'd probably like Cartier too but I didn't show those to her. I'd love to get the JLC for her, but it can't happen until after many more years of saving A couple pieces like this will have to tie her over until then.

Have you checked Bedat?
    Quote Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post
    My experience hunting down a timepiece for my wife is almost completely consistent with your statement. Once it was clear that she wanted vintage, I tried to get her into some nice 14K 1950's Rolex, Omega, Longines, Hamilton, etc. No interest at all in the timepiece aspect of it, even if it was cased in a precious metal. Put some artistic design elements on the case, dial, and/or decorate with some precious stones and that begins to get her attention. Pocket watches even work, as long as the case is decorated. For her, it's all about artistic elements and having something out of the ordinary.

The only "WIS"-type piece I found that she really liked was the JLC reverso, but she still greatly prefers the one in 14K with a row of diamonds above/below the dial. She'd probably like Cartier too but I didn't show those to her. I'd love to get the JLC for her, but it can't happen until after many more years of saving A couple pieces like this will have to tie her over until then.

Thread Information