My first vintage, looking for some opinions and a little advice
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By J3hundred
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By J3hundred

Thread: My first vintage, looking for some opinions and a little advice

My first vintage, looking for some opinions and a little advice

Just picked up this Citizen 8110a Flyback Chronograph from eBay. I've only recently got into watches and this was one of the first ones I ever bid on. Completely happy with it, and extremely pleased with its condition.

Been eyeing Seiko's too but it seems for the stuff I like, 70-80s era, prices have shot up and hard to find a good bargain unless it's in disrepair or bad condition. So happy to find this Citizen, any suggestions on others to look at? 38-40mm, chrono, auto, $200-300?

Also, need help identifying how to remove links on this bracelet. Is this a folded link bracelet? Or is it just push the pins out? The pins are rather small, and tight, can anyone suggest a small enough pin tool? All mine seem to be too large to go through.

If if any of you have this fly back chrono I'd love to see pics and or ideas on strap options for it!!!

Name:  QEqstNE.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  1.37 MB
    Name:  ENKqdsf.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  685.4 KB
    Name:  EcrBdVz.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  1.12 MB
    Name:  Pl8nvPw.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  563.9 KB
    Name:  FUpZIhU.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  1.04 MB
    Name:  JL47XKm.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  166.9 KB
    joeuk and busmatt like this.

Re: My first vintage, looking for some opinions and a little advice

Looks good to me. As to straps- maybe racing-style perforated leather, or a black "rally" strap with orange stitching?
    joeuk and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Very nice watch! At least you started out with something affordable, but very clean. There are pins in every link, just push them out. There is one already sticking it's head out (second to last image/first visible link on the right), that's the direction to go (in most case it works either way).
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 20th, 2017 at 20:21.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for orb yhe reply guys. Yeah really like this chronograph, the movement is quite significant as well.

As for the links, I'll need to find a smaller pin as none of the ones that came with my watch tools are small enough.

So... I went to three local jewelry shops today and none of them could remove link. Two bent pins of them bent their pins and the other one said it couldn't be done. So I'm left with two options, which both I will pursue.

I will keep seeking more skilled and/or experienced watchmakers in the area, but I will simultaneously shop for a replacement strap. I love the strap it comes with but I also want to wear the watch! There's a few watch repair shops, but will not be able to make it there until later this week.

Can anyone recommend an in-period bracelet for this watch? Thanks guys!

There is no question that these links can be removed by someone who knows what he is doing.

Bracelet Sizing Archives - Citizen Watch - English (US)
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Yup, will be trying other places as well who's specialty are watches.

These links look very familiar, they are a bit like my Vostok watch strap they are a pain to remove but can be done. These are made cheaply so either find a competent watch guy i.e. not those shops that sell straps but someone that fixes watches or just buy either leather or metal bracelet that are easier to remove links.

P.s congrats on a very nice piece, plus I have found most Chronograph watches have gone up in price even the Russian poljot/sekonda chronograph have gone up in price.

They do not know what they are doing. Depending on the pin, it might be easier in one or the other direction. Then you don't push and bend your tools. Either you use a device as shown below with slow, direct and continuous application of pressure or you tap the hand-tool with a the pin with a watchmaker's hammer. In both cases, the pin to start out with can be somewhat shortened. Jewelers should leave their hands off watches altogether. You might as well go to the next flower shop or a wedding dress boutique, they are at the same level as jewelers when it comes to do some work on a watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 21st, 2017 at 22:53.

Ok tuys! I've got some good news, I was fooling around with the strap today and I was able to remove a good chunk of length. I didn't remove any pins, however, I noticed that in the micro adjustment area, I was able to remove the extension/slide piece that goes into the clasp and just directly connect the bracelet into the clasp.

I really appreciate all the replies and opinions, will still definitely need to find a trustable watchmaker in the area for other services.

Piece removed:
    Name:  1BTIG8b.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  843.2 KB
    busmatt and joeuk like this.

Thread Information