My first vintage pocket watch

Thread: My first vintage pocket watch

My first vintage pocket watch

What do you think? I'm going to have it serviced this week and I don't regret buying it. So far it's been keeping time pretty well and I like it a lot. Its a waltham, 21 jewel, lever set and from 1913. 122 bucks without service (so I thinkmaybe 200 total)

Name:  $(KGrHqR,!lgE1GDtyJGOBNW+ZG!+l!~~_12.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  55.6 KBName:  $(KGrHqV,!ikE1NzqBCEwBNW+ZJBWBg~~_12.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  79.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My first vintage pocket watch

The movement looks very nice. Is the watch very big? It looks smallish to me.

It's a size 16, maybe my next watch will be size 18

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A beautiful pocket watch. I think it's a railroad chronometer. Which would explain its battered appearance. These watches were used for accuracy, not style. But it should keep fantastic time nonetheless.

I make one small observation.

You have the watch-chain on upside down. If that ring-clip opens accidently, your watch is going to end up in tiny little pieces on the floor. The ring goes around your belt-loop. The tear-trop clip goes around the watch-bow.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

congrats on a great looking piece. wish i would of splashed out a bit more money and bought a piece like yours. movement looks great. to me its not battered but nearly 100 years of great use by people(history). sent my 2 pocketwatches for service once back i will post a thread with pics if the watchguy can get them working. ones a ingersoll and the other is a thomas russell. thats what i love about mechanical watches nearly 100 years old and still working. again congrats

Congratilation with a beautiful piece!
    I agree with joeuk, it´s just great that history present itself.

The 645 movement is looking gorgeous, think this might will be my next acquisition in the not so near future. As I understand, then 645 is railroad grade, and in my mind - a really looker.
    Please tell us how presice it keep time, and if any here got experience with movement 645 - fill us in! : )

645 is one of Waltham's 16 size railroad grade watches, there were several others. This catalog shows only some of them (together with some lower grades).
    The movements looks to be in great shape, what is the S/N? I guess you are aware that the case is newer than the movement, that is common for watches that have been well used by their first owners.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just earlier I noticed the chain was on wrong, I felt pretty dumb. right now it's in for service, but I wil let you know how good it keeps time when it gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    what is the S/N?
    Sorry for double post, the serial is 19028981

Quote Originally Posted by C_Jazz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just earlier I noticed the chain was on wrong, I felt pretty dumb. right now it's in for service, but I wil let you know how good it keeps time when it gets back.
    Don't feel dumb. Just don't be dumb enough not to make the change! Otherwise you'll regret it! It would be nice, if you can, to get a photograph of the chain as well. We see all kinds of watches, but no chains on this forum.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information