my first vintage purchases.. Elgin Shockmaster and Kienzle Selecta
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pdx

Thread: my first vintage purchases.. Elgin Shockmaster and Kienzle Selecta

pdx

my first vintage purchases.. Elgin Shockmaster and Kienzle Selecta

What do you all think about my new watches? They are my first older mechanical purchases and I couldn't be happier. They both appear to be in very good condition and keeping great time. They both appear to be early '60s if I had to guess. Any way to verify?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pdx; March 20th, 2012 at 02:50.
    howards4th likes this.

Re: my first vintage purchases.. Elgin Shockmaster and Kienzle Selecta

Hi and welcome. Very nice start to your collection.

A lot of Kienzle watches have low quality movements - but yours has 17 jewels and would have been one of their premium products. The style is verging towards the 70's, but the fact that it says 'waterproof' means that it is a 60's watch as the term was dropped at the of the 60's following a US FTC ruling.

The style of the Elgin seems somewhat earlier to me. I'm sure others will know more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

pdx

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Hi and welcome. Very nice start to your collection.

A lot of Kienzle watches have low quality movements - but yours has 17 jewels and would have been one of their premium products. The style is verging towards the 70's, but the fact that it says 'waterproof' means that it is a 60's watch as the term was dropped at the of the 60's following a US FTC ruling.

The style of the Elgin seems somewhat earlier to me. I'm sure others will know more.
    Thanks for the information. I'm totally green when it comes to vintage watches so any information helps! I'll try to break out my macro lens and get some better pictures of these things and update the thread. I'm a bit hesitant to pop off the back of the case and check out the movements but will try to do that as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome! I really like that Elgin, the color on the sweep hand is very cool! Congrats.

pdx

Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    Welcome! I really like that Elgin, the color on the sweep hand is very cool! Congrats.
    Thank you and thanks. I really like the syle of the Elgin too. I haven't opened it up but the buyer stated it was a 643 with 17 jewels unadjusted. It seems to work really well but I do notice a bit of noise when I move my wrist around. Any idea if this is typical for Elgin's with a 643 movement?

Is that a 760 in the Elgin? Cool watches btw, welcome to the addicting world of vintage watches........ These won't be your last lol
    Stratocasters Rock!

pdx

Quote Originally Posted by stratct View Post
    Is that a 760 in the Elgin? Cool watches btw, welcome to the addicting world of vintage watches........ These won't be your last lol
    Thanks. I was told 643, 17 jewel, unadjusted. I've been nervous about popping open case since everything is working so well but I'm sure I'll get over that soon and open it up to verify.

pdx

Quote Originally Posted by stratct View Post
    Oh, it is hard to tell but has a Swiss indication at the bottom of the face. I guess that rules out chance it is a 760 movement.

Hi -

The Elgin 643 is a Swiss-made movement. That is why you'll see "Swiss" on the dial below the six. The 670 was made in the US, one of only few US made automatics, and the dials of the watches were labelled "American made". These are much rarer and parts are increasingly hard to find (especially balance wheels, as these were unique to the 670). The 643 and similar movements (Swiss) were good, but basic movements. The 670 has a free-sprung balance and used a Glycdur balance wheel, rather advanced for the day. Alas, too little too late...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information