I was looking for a small dress watch with a domed crystal about a month ago... and my search lead me to a whole slew of vintage watches. I spent a few days on the good old auction site, and ended up winning a Stowa that caught my eye. I got the watch for about $60-70. This stowa is my first vintage watch, first hand-winding watch, and first "serious" watch... many firsts!
It arrived last week and I've been wearing it everyday since! I love it :)
Here's what I "know" about the watch:
- The ad said it was from the 40's, not quite sure. I'm afraid to open the back to photograph the movement... I don't want to damage the watch in any way. I only have photos of the movement that the seller had in the ad.
- The back has "Walz Gold-Double 20 MIKRON Edelstahl Boden" engraved on it. A quick google search told me that it meant the watch is gold plated.
- What appears to be the serial number is also engraved on the back: 41062
- The face is really clean, a gold marker on the 5 o'clock spot is missing. I'm guessing it's been touched up/cleaned up.
- The crystal should be new... or else that gold marker would be rattling inside it.
- No accurate tests were done, but from what I can tell, it loses about 30sec to a minute everyday.
- When I set the time, sometimes the entire face turns a little when i turn the crown... but resets itself to the starting position when I push the crown back in.
I guess I have a few questions as well:
1. Of course... is it a REAL Stowa, and how old do you guys think it is?
2. The face turning... will that affect the watch in the long run?
3. Should I get the watch overhauled? Would it fix the face turning issue?
4. I wind it once every day I wear it, in the morning. I wind it until I can't wind anymore, about 5-8 full turns. Am I doing it wrong?
5. What do you guys know about this watch?
6. Off Topic: I'm really liking this watch... and I think my dad's been hinting at a watch for my Christmas gift... but doesn't know what to get me. I've had my eyes on a Seamaster DeVille for a while now... any recommendations?
My apologies for all the questions... here are a few photos to make it up to you guys :)
First, here's a link to the ad, photos of the movement inside: Seldon Seen Early Vtge Stowa Mens Dress Wristwatch Spear Lugs Great Dial 1940s | eBay
German watch... German Cameras :)