My first vintage: A Stowa! Pictures and questions galore...

Thread: My first vintage: A Stowa! Pictures and questions galore...

My first vintage: A Stowa! Pictures and questions galore...

Hey :)

I was looking for a small dress watch with a domed crystal about a month ago... and my search lead me to a whole slew of vintage watches. I spent a few days on the good old auction site, and ended up winning a Stowa that caught my eye. I got the watch for about $60-70. This stowa is my first vintage watch, first hand-winding watch, and first "serious" watch... many firsts!

It arrived last week and I've been wearing it everyday since! I love it :)

Here's what I "know" about the watch:

- The ad said it was from the 40's, not quite sure. I'm afraid to open the back to photograph the movement... I don't want to damage the watch in any way. I only have photos of the movement that the seller had in the ad.
    - The back has "Walz Gold-Double 20 MIKRON Edelstahl Boden" engraved on it. A quick google search told me that it meant the watch is gold plated.
    - What appears to be the serial number is also engraved on the back: 41062
    - The face is really clean, a gold marker on the 5 o'clock spot is missing. I'm guessing it's been touched up/cleaned up.
    - The crystal should be new... or else that gold marker would be rattling inside it.
    - No accurate tests were done, but from what I can tell, it loses about 30sec to a minute everyday.
    - When I set the time, sometimes the entire face turns a little when i turn the crown... but resets itself to the starting position when I push the crown back in.

I guess I have a few questions as well:
    1. Of course... is it a REAL Stowa, and how old do you guys think it is?
    2. The face turning... will that affect the watch in the long run?
    3. Should I get the watch overhauled? Would it fix the face turning issue?
    4. I wind it once every day I wear it, in the morning. I wind it until I can't wind anymore, about 5-8 full turns. Am I doing it wrong?
    5. What do you guys know about this watch?
    6. Off Topic: I'm really liking this watch... and I think my dad's been hinting at a watch for my Christmas gift... but doesn't know what to get me. I've had my eyes on a Seamaster DeVille for a while now... any recommendations?

My apologies for all the questions... here are a few photos to make it up to you guys :)

First, here's a link to the ad, photos of the movement inside: Seldon Seen Early Vtge Stowa Mens Dress Wristwatch Spear Lugs Great Dial 1940s | eBay

German watch... German Cameras :)

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My first vintage: A Stowa! Pictures and questions galore...

Nice looking watch. The case screws are missing, that is why the watch moves when you wind it. If you look at the movement pic you can see the empty holes on both sides of the movement between the lugs. They help keep the movement stable, but are not vital if missing. As long as it is running okay, I wouldn't worry about having it serviced.

For now, why not wind it once and let it run until it stops to see how long it will go?

Nice watch.

The movement is a Durowe 422 bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Durowe 422 (or 522 if larger) from the 1950's. German movement in a German case so I see no need to question whether it is genuine.

There is a brief history of Stowa in our links and articles section https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/st...ew-119824.html

My Stowa says hello:

Name:  Stowa post service.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  162.3 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies and info, guys :)

I'll leave the watch unwound for today, see how long it runs.

Thanks for all the links as well, Marrick! Very nice looking stowa you have :)

Thread Information