My First Vintage Watches - Questions about Cleaning and Care? - Page 2

Thread: My First Vintage Watches - Questions about Cleaning and Care?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: My First Vintage Watches - Questions about Cleaning and Care?

No, I've definitely come to understand that servicing the watches myself is largely out of the question for now, and I believe I've found a reputable local watchmaker. As much as I'll be desperate to wear the Bulova, I can restrain myself enough to wait until I can afford to have it properly serviced, however much that might be. So, no real dismay here. I'm still excited about the watches.

Is dipping movements in WD40 a common/shady practice?

I've read other threads about the radium in the paint on the Fontain, but are there any other thoughts on safety measures if I do decide (increasingly unlikely) to open the case? Is even the dust from the one watch the equivalent of playing "Russian Roulette" as one other poster put it?

Considering the amount of $$ you spent on both watches, in my opinion you got a good deal on both. Now as for "restoring" them, I would spend the extra money saved on having each one restored by a qualified watch professional. I am sure that once they have been restored to their former glory you would be amazed and satisfied as well as surprised. It's cool to see something like a vintage or antique watch to be brought back to its originality and beauty of a timepiece. Also you may think that the price/cost would be high to have each restored but I am sure that once fully restored and actually seeing it in your hands you would come to appreciate the time and money spent. Try this individual and check out his website, contact him if you need to, or to just get an idea of what you could expect. Good luck on whatever path you take and keep us posted with updates and pictures if and when you ever get them restored.
    HOW TO RESTORE AND REFURBISH VINTAGE WRIST WATCHES AND POCKET WATCHES
    Last edited by Orhorolgy; February 11th, 2011 at 00:36.

Is dipping movements in WD40 a common/shady practice?
    WD 40, laquer thinner, various lubes and cleaners. I wouldn't say it's common, but it happens. Alcohol is something you never want inside your movt. It will dissolve the shellac holding pallet jewels and the roller jewel. Ditto for laquer thinner, obviously.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on the movement, of course. I remember one of the resident watchmakers describe the process of cleaning a dollar watch (which apparently involved soaking in naptha, then tying a string around something solid and whirling the movement around your head for a few minutes to dry it out). Of course, these movements don't have shellac (or even jewels, usually)...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I had actually stumbled on that site before coming here! To be honest, I had largely dismissed it as suspicious... I might contact him, though, depending on what kind of response I get from my local watchmaker.

I've also been in touch with the owner of vintagebulova.com, although I'm not entirely convinced the Bulova needs a full restoration - I suppose we'll see once it gets here.
    Last edited by nwfisk; January 28th, 2011 at 16:21.

Depends on the movement, of course. I remember one of the resident watchmakers describe the process of cleaning a dollar watch (which apparently involved soaking in naptha, then tying a string around something solid and whirling the movement around your head for a few minutes to dry it out). Of course, these movements don't have shellac (or even jewels, usually)...
    As long as your string doesn't break, should be ok....Actually, naptha might not hurt a pin pallet movt, but they usually get the dirt pounded into the teeth of the escape wheel and you have to brush them or scrape them. The ones I've seen are impossible to disassemble fully, anyway.

Personally, I think the Bulova looks great as-is, and would tread very lightly on the whole restoration thing. Cleaned and serviced - yes. Restored, noooo.

@ Outta Time, scaring the new members again - huh?

My rant is done. Everyone please return to your seats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information