My fist time
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: My fist time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My fist time

So I've been reading a lot on the forum here. First, thank you to everyone here. I've learned a lot, which is nearly nothing compared to those here. Being as I'm not overflowing with discretionary income, I've made my first purchase, but it's a cheap one. The case is rough but it "works" and it only cost $10 (with an extra non working watch to boot!). It's a Croton Nivada Grenchen. When I opened it up I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the movement. It appears to be in great shape. My plan is to remove the movement and crystal and separate the crown. Then gently sand down the crown and case and then electroplated it (possibly nickel?) myself. I'm more confident in my ability to restore the exterior than to even touch the movement without damaging something. I'll leave that to the professionals. I'll update when I found out how many seconds/day it's off.

I know it's not a "special" watch, but it will be for me. My first automatic movement, my first Swiss, and my fist vintage. I know it won't raise much excitement on here but I hope to improve upon its condition and if all goes well, I'll be brave enough to spend some $$$ on the next one.

Thanks all. I'll post updates as I fix her up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My fist time

Welcome. I think it is great. I know that there is a lot of discussion of the expensive and exotic around here. I for one welcome another person who appreciates the more common brands and models.

BTW - the movement does like to be in good shape. I like that the regulator is centered and the finish on the movement is even. I don't see any watchmaker's marks on the inside of the back - it may be that it has Never been serviced.

Good luck with your watch journey - it can be a real slippery slope and pull you into all kinds of things you would never expect.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chadrswift View Post
    . . . . I'm more confident in my ability to restore the exterior than to even touch the movement without damaging something. I'll leave that to the professionals. . . . .
    Why do you have this level of confidence?

Do you have previous experience in metal refinishing of fine goods?

Jewelry manufacturing experience?

Have you worked as a polisher?

Or as a plater?
    Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have never refinished a watch case, but I imagine that it is challenging to prep the surface properly while also maintaining the sharp edges. I'm not confident that "sanding" is the best approach. Maybe you can research this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress...

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post

Why do you have this level of confidence?

Do you have previous experience in metal refinishing of fine goods?

Jewelry manufacturing experience?

Have you worked as a polisher?

Or as a plater?
    I usually don't start a project before researching ad nauseum. I won't just go at the case with 80 grit sandpaper, that was more a poor choice of words. I will be making sure I can clean up the case before I start. I am more confident on the nickel plating (then possibly chrome over it). My main concern is that nickel fills well (why it's done before chrome) so I am worried that it make effect clearances. So I'll have to be super picky on how long I let it plate so it doesn't get too thick. So I have to choose between too much, or not enough to protect it. That's why I have to see how deep some of the nicks are. If it isn't as bad as some look, I may just have it chromed if I can fine someone who will just throw it in with a job they're already doing (for cheap). There is a good industrial plating company close by.

I won't destroy the thing. Don't worry. Once I make up my mind on best way to proceed I'll probably even run it by a jeweler I know.

After that (assuming much) I will maybe buy some oil for the jewels. Or just look up a watch service center near me.

That all being said, multiple people responded in a way that seems awfully critical. I kind of expected it, as it's pretty common on newbie threads. I get it. I'm probably the new idiot about to destroy something. But people need to get off their high horse.

Thanks to all the pleasant people! I'm excited to be learning and enjoying something new!

I would need more than "some oil for the jewels" :)
    Chaos is my focus

I personally think everyone has the right to experiment on their personal low cost pieces, even with the possibility of destruction. That's how we learn. I say have fun doing it!
    joeuk likes this.

That’s a fantastic pickup for $10. Never mind the negativity, go at it with gusto. Worst case is you’ve blown some time and money, best case you’ve learned something. Don’t forget to update this thread I’m really interested to see how to playing goes.

Follow me on Instagram @ciccio_started_it
    CURRENT: Charles Nicolet Chronograph, Kelbert Chronograph, Bulova Sea King Wrist Alarm, Desotos Panda & Reverse Panda Chronograph, BWC Monza Chronograph, Omega Dynamic, Tissot PR50, Marathon/Benrus Type II, Seikp SRPA21 PADI Turtle, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Doxa 300t 50th Anniversary Edition & a whole bunch of my own custom 'Regia Marina' Builds

I actually didn't see any negativity, but maybe I am just more accustomed to the straightforward way we generally discuss things on F11. In any case, welcome to watchuseek, and best of luck on the restoration. You might be able to glean some ideas from this site: Replateit.com - Watch Case Restoration.
    busmatt likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information