My grandfathers inherited pocket watch
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My grandfathers inherited pocket watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My grandfathers inherited pocket watch

This was a pocket watch my grandfather inherited from his godmother after her husband passed. My grand ma gave it to me recently since she knew my grandpa would’ve wanted me to have it. I gave it a couple winds and it fired right up but after that I just let it sit because it hadn’t been serviced in who knows how long.

Name:  67BDDEC2-A1F4-4376-A51E-58989001E819_1532669453775.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  967.1 KBName:  56109189-AFE3-471F-82A6-FE56555F3732_1532669472335.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  921.4 KBName:  1B812680-052E-44C1-B25C-778C64FCF156_1532669486404.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  868.8 KB
    busmatt, mannal, mmarc77 and 1 others like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: My grandfathers inherited pocket watch

After those teaser shots, people are going to want to see movement shots- you know that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    After those teaser shots, people are going to want to see movement shots- you know that, right?
    I can post some tomorrow. I was holding off till I got some time to black out the serial numbers. The movement is beautiful i can tell you that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslate707 View Post
    I can post some tomorrow. I was holding off till I got some time to black out the serial numbers. The movement is beautiful i can tell you that.
    There's no (good) reason to hide the serial number for a watch as this, and the serial is handy to get info from the various lists/databases.

I do not get your intentions. You tell us that a pocket watch made by Elgin was going around in your family. Do you have any questions or was that it?

Based on the serial number, you can get all the information about age, type of movement etc. from the database. But you want to black out the serial number before showing any pictures. Why? Is someone not supposed to see it?

Are you perhaps afraid to show any valuables identifiable by the serial numbers? Be relaxed, a good pair of shoes would cost more.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; July 27th, 2018 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslate707 View Post
    If you're going to cripple our ability to give you useful information, maybe you should just do it yourself. Use Google to find any one of many online serial number databases for Elgin, or vintage pocket watches in general.
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I wasn’t looking for any information, I just wanted to share the watch with other members who might enjoy looking at it. I don’t like posting numbers , I have heard stories of people going on forums taking numbers and reporting watches stolen using those numbers or using those numbers on counterfeit watches, I would rather not contribute to that. Im not sure if that’s ever actually happened or if it’s just people talking out of their butts but I figured it best just to play it safe. The watch is locked up in my old room at my dads so I can’t get pictures at the moment any ways I’ll get pictures of the movement when I go over again tonight.

What???

I want to spare me from any further comments, but believe me, if people would look for numbers to put it on counterfeit watches, that wouldn't be for simple and household Elgin watches but timepieces in a different league. And why should they use your number? They would take any suitable number for a specific model and year from a database, otherwise people would immediately discover a mismatch if it is not for the exact model (with all features of the movement described there) for which the number was issued. Faking such a watch (which is nonsensical anyway) and selling it, would result in a profit equivalent to a salary of 5 Cents per hour, more likely in a loss.

And then, honestly, why should someone report your watch (this watch) as stolen?

You are proud of your family heirloom, keep it well and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; July 27th, 2018 at 20:25.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    What???

I want to spare me from any further comments, but believe me, if people would look for numbers to put it on counterfeit watches, that wouldn't be for simple and household Elgin watches but timepieces in a different league. And why should they use your number? They would take any suitable number for a specific model and year from a database, otherwise people would immediately discover a mismatch if it is not for the exact model (with all features of the movement described there) for which the number was issued. Faking such a watch (which is nonsensical anyway) and selling it, would result in a profit equivalent to a salary of 5 Cents per hour, more likely in a loss.

And then, honestly, why should someone report your watch (this watch) as stolen?

You are proud of your family heirloom, keep it well and enjoy it.
    Please do spare your self from further comments save yout time and breath and my time from reading non constructive posts. Why would people do that....I can’t answer that why do bad people do any thing ? I just always like to play it safe and that’s a personal choice whether or not it’s justified or not. I’m not judging your personal choices I would appreciate if you didn’t judge mine as silly as they might be. I am proud of this and it will sit in my box and be passsd down after i am gone.

Sorry, the only non constructive post is yours. Why do you go to a watch forum where people have a deeper interest in watches and show the engravings of a bird on one side of the watch and the same bird again in another shade of gold, the dial, a family story how that was passed around and then nothing else to play it save? If that is all you can and want to show, which is your business, just don't show it. There are threads like WRUW where people provide more or less information about what they carry around on a particular day where this could go. But don't open a separate thread for that. Assuming that things are serious and sensible, most of us want to be helpful with identification etc. and are clicking on the link, just to find something of very little interest connected to the obscure refusal to show more.

I am not judging your personal choices how to handle this, I am simply judging your choice to show this here in such a fashion.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; July 27th, 2018 at 22:05.
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information