My grandfather's J. Assmann Glashuette I/Sachsen pocket watch

Thread: My grandfather's J. Assmann Glashuette I/Sachsen pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question My grandfather's J. Assmann Glashuette I/Sachsen pocket watch

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my grandfather's pocket watch, with the hopes someone might be able to tell me more about it.

My late grandfather received this from a "female acquaintance" of his, though much later than the receipt indicates it was purchased (1899).

It's not running at the moment, but I'm told it's still serviceable. The crystal seems to have been replaced by some plastic/acrylic material.

Anyway, here are some pictures. I wasn't brave enough to open it up and expose the movement.

Open:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

Closed:

Original receipt:
    Last edited by Martin L; September 30th, 2010 at 22:49. Reason: Fixed date of purchase.

Re: My grandfather's J. Assmann Glashuette I/Sachsen pocket watch

Excellent watch! Usually opening the movement is relatively harmless but do what you are comfortable with.

Glashuette was/is a German watchmaking center. Anyone who makes watches there can use the name on the dial.

Acrylic crystals are common replacement crystals. Personally I prefer them to glass in pocket watches. I have never reached in my pocket and been stabbed by acrylic.

With a solid gold case, the lady must have really liked your grandfather! Nice piece.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Hm.. My post from 4 hours ago is gone. Did I offend somebody, did it get removed?

Anyway, it would be very nice to see a pic of the movement. I think you should go to a watchmaker and ask him to open it. Surely you are curious how it looks like?
    I know it is a work of mecanical beauty!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes please arrange for movement pictures. Many of us would love to see this.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Hm.. My post from 4 hours ago is gone. Did I offend somebody, did it get removed?

As one of the forum moderators I can see what the others did (in this forum). No moderation was done. I suspect what happened to you is what has happened to me far more than once - I get the post all edited up and ready to go, then I go on and forget to send it to the servers.

That or the dog ate your post...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I'd be happy to try opening it myself, if someone could explain it to me. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough to make an explanation possible. If not, I'll take it to one of the more reputable watch shops here in Ithaca. They were the ones who told me it was serviceable, so presumably they had a look at the the movement. I should have asked to look at it then, oh well!

You may find some help in this webpage:
    OPENING A VINTAGE WRISTWATCH OR POCKET WATCH CASE

The address to that site can also be found in the Links and Articles section of this forum, found here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Julius Assmann was one of the first workers of Ferdinand Adolph Lange and after finishing with AL set up his own business in Glashütte. The company factory was destroyed in 1927 and his heirs closed down the company in 1930. Glashütte Original now sort of continue the heritage by bringing out "Julius Assmann" special edition watches but have no direct links to the old company.

Hartmut Richter

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Wow, that's a very beautiful pocket watch. Your grandfather must have been very special to this lady.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Banned

We have had some problems with the lines here on Island for a couple of months.
    Since the 5.7 earthquake, that is. Nobody can explain what the problem is.
    Possibly that was the reason.

(Or Hon. Mr Eeeb had a involuntary finger movement. During a Blonde second.. )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information