My Grandfathers old pocket watch

Thread: My Grandfathers old pocket watch

My Grandfathers old pocket watch

I originally posted this over in the Café under the "Highlight of the Day" thread. This was the surprise I found while I was helping my parents move some sideboards and desks after they just had a new central heating system installed. As I was helping to put some drawers back in their desk, I noticed this wee gem sitting under a bunch of paperwork right in the corner.

I remember my parents had an old pocket watch that used to be my grandfathers, but the last time I saw it was about 20 years ago, and I didn't realise it was an Omega. Sadly the big cog was rattling about inside, so it does not work. My mum wants to see about getting it fully repaired and serviced, which is great new for me, as I didn't even have to ask. I'm pretty sure this was the watch my grandfather used in WWII, so it would be great to get it back up and working again.

Anybody got anymore info about this watch? Sorry about the bad pics as I only had my iPhone at the time.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Re: My Grandfathers old pocket watch

GSTP stands for General Service Trade Pattern or General Service Temporary Pattern depending on where you read. It indicates it was issued to the British Military during WW2.

British Horological Institute - Military Watch Information

Extracted from Omega's archive.....
    ML 1140
    International collection

Movement

• Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    • Caliber number: 38,5 L T1
    • Created in 1932
      15 jewels
      With special adjustment

Functions
    Chronometer, Subsecond
    Case

White metal
    Case back

• Press-in
    • Full metal

Dial

White enamel, recessed small seconds, modern arabic numerals, with radium skeleton hands.

Crystal

Not available
    Bracelet

None
    Water resistance

No

Ref: MIL 1140.

Movement with special settings (quasi chronometer), enamel dial, railway minute-circle with luminous ends, recesseded small seconds, modern Arabic hour markers with radium at every quarter hour, radium skeleton hands, half “bassine” case with nickel-plated, brass notch. Back engraved with “Broad Arrow” (large arrow) – typical of all the material owned by the British Army – as well as the acronym GSTP (General Service Timepiece) Y....., spherical crown and English-style round ring. The model was ordered in November 1943 and started being dispatched mid-March 1944. 20 000 pieces produced.

regards

tim
    Last edited by erasuretim; August 23rd, 2010 at 18:44.

Re: My Grandfathers old pocket watch

Thanks for all the info mate. I'll check it out on the Omega site.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Thread Information