My grandfather's watch

Thread: My grandfather's watch

My grandfather's watch

This is my first pocket watch. There is a long history, sort of, that goes with it. My great great great grandfather, came to America, established himself in the furthest west settlement at the time. He went back to Germany and brought his mother and two brothers back with him. His brother Peter gave this watch to his nephew, my great great grandfather, for christmas in 1897. It has been handed down now to me, the fifth generation since it's purchase. It's a HEAVY 18k god case. The movements are dated at about 1884.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My grandfather's watch

That's a nice Waltham Model 1877 (made in 1883). Waltham made about a million of those. Of those, only about 45,000 were 15j P.S.Barlett in a hunting case configuration.

I'm not sure the case is solid gold...the "hallmarks" don't look familiar to me, and the word "Warranted" usually indicates rolled gold (although not so much in 1883). But it's hard to say, markings weren't always consistent. Given its history, it could also be German (German hallmarks always confuse me).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

This one has been checked and is solid gold. The warranted and guaranteed marks that denote rolled gold or plate were regulated by the gov't about the turn of the century. The Ladies Waltham I posted is an example of this. The guarantee or warrant was to say that the gold plate would last the number of years placed with it. Again, the ladies watch is guaranteed for 25 years, so in theory the plating would last that long, under regular wear and use, before the base metal would start to show.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

People were brave at that time!
    Imagine moving from Germany, with all the culture (music, art, food & drink) and moving into the US outback!
    A very brave ancestor you have!

Nice watch, a true family heirloom!

18K not normally used for plating or gold fill. That looks like a really heavy one. My grandfather Uncle deeded an 18K big Grossman German watch to him, to my father, than I bought and sold it. It was common to use these as ready cash loan collateral which my grandfather did. My father was not a fan of pawn shops. Yours is still a good cash source and always will be. Do not let it get away. Our Grossman got to be a valuable collector item and it got about 20 times its gold value in bullion gold. I saved it from scrap.

The case is made by Blauer Watch Case Co, Chicago. They started in 1883 and made fine solid gold cases. Likely the company is a successor of Blauer and Sperry, Chicago from 1869 to 1883.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Wow that is a beauty, I am envious! Great piece, hold it near and dear!

Beautiful timepiece you have there and its condition is very good despite its age

Thread Information