This was my grandfathers watch and now it's mine. Ariston Swiss Automatic. Info/value?

Thread: This was my grandfathers watch and now it's mine. Ariston Swiss Automatic. Info/value?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This was my grandfathers watch and now it's mine. Ariston Swiss Automatic. Info/value?

So this was my grandfathers watch, he wore it every day for possibly 50 years or more my mother and her sister say and now it's mine. I wish i had been with her for this but when she came into possession of it, she took it to a watch guy in san francisco to have it cleaned out and checked to see if it was in good shape.

The gentleman that ran the shop was apparently very surprised to see it. He (I'm paraphrasing, my mother really didn't ask him to elaborate on any of this) said something about it is unusual, something about it's construction or something having to do with the type of watch it is and the date it was made and he mentioned that it's fairly rare and especially even more rare to be in such perfect working condition as it still keeps great time (I only wore it for about a month myself but it seemed to be accurate and the automatic self winding works perfect not to mentione i showered with it on and it seemed to still be water proof.) he went on to say that even in it's current condition which is fairly well worn it could be worth up to a couple thousand dollars.

As you can see in the pics it's a gold colored watch, the bezel measuring about 33 mm across. My dad, a jeweler (who doesn't work at all with watches) says it's got a heavy gold filling on the bezel. At the edges of the bezel the gold filling is totally rubbed away exposing what looks like brass underneath. It says "Ariston Automatic" on the face which looks to be some sort of matte silver metal. The back which is hardly legible in some areas says "Water protected: Swiss Made, Anti Magnetic Incabloc (???), Stainless Steel back, then 654 A and in the center are the numbers "615594". It originally had a horrendously smelly and torn black leather band which i got rid of and traded for a 9 dollar fake gold Target watch band just because i needed a watch

The watch has no sentimental value for me and i'm not a fan of jewelry on men, so i think i look ridiculous in a gold watch. With another leather band, it could be dressy, so if it's worthless, i suppose i might just hang onto it. If it's worth something, even a few hundred bucks i'd love to sell it. Somehow "thousands" seems way too good to be true. And before somebody says it's a part of my grandfather and is to be cherished or whatever, unfortunately he was not at all a pleasant guy, even his kids weren't sad when he passed and frankly, neither was I. The fact he wore it for so long really means nothing to me. I just graduated college and theres no jobs out there and if i could make a bit of money from something sitting in a drawer collecting dust, why not.

Whatever it is, i'm just curious if you can tell me something about it. Googling ariston, all i've been able to find is a mention of a pocket watch that was valuable and somebody was selling inoperable ariston non automatics for 200 bucks on ebay. The brand must have gone out of business quite some time ago.

Pics

Name:  aristonfront.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  214.3 KB

I just noticed i took the picture the moment the second hand passed in front of the minute so it looks like only a 2 hand movement when in fact it's 3.

I really appreciate any information I can get about it guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by baserock love; February 3rd, 2011 at 03:04. Reason: watch pics somehow replaced with somebody elses watch pics?!

Re: This was my grandfathers watch and now it's mine. Ariston Swiss Automatic. Info/valu

Well that's in very good condition for its age - probably 1960's. We don't attempt valuations in here for many reasons - see stickies. Unless I'm missing something, there is no reason to suppose that the watch is of particular value. Someone else may know more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: This was my grandfathers watch and now it's mine. Ariston Swiss Automatic. Info/valu

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much as my grandfather wasn't at all a rich man while not necessarily being poor by any means. Makes me wonder why this watch smith got all worked up over it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is it possible to see the movement?

IT might have a bumper automatic in it; that would throw many watchmakers.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Looks nice. Knowing the movement would give a clue to who made it and ultimately some sort of value.
    If this were my gramps watch I would consider it sentimental.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Did a little bit of Google sleuthing. Ariston was made by Fabrique d'Horlogerie Ed. Kummer SA from Bettlach, Switzerland who also made a number of other brands such most notably Atlantic. Couldn't find much else in English...maybe someone else can chime in?

Attachment 382592

The rest of the writing on the back is pretty normal for the time period - Incabloc was a name for shock protection system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incablo...tection_system

With a servicing and a proper band and you have yourself a nice vintage dress watch.
    Last edited by Ironhead66; February 3rd, 2011 at 00:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Is it possible to see the movement?
    Unfortunately, i know very little about watches (I'm quite enjoying lurking on this forum, that may soon change.). If theres a way to open up the bottom without buying any tools or harming it in any way, i'd be happy to take some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim View Post
    Looks nice. Knowing the movement would give a clue to who made it and ultimately some sort of value.
    If this were my gramps watch I would consider it sentimental.
    Ya know, i really wish i did consider it sentimental. My experience of my grandfather consisted of about a decade and a half of him bitching at me to stay quiet so he can hear his football game (he spent roughly 8 hours a day watching football in the back room when i visited him, either taped games or ones on tv) before he got some weird idea in his head i was somehow at age 13 driving an hour and a half to Citrus Heights every night and stealing from him. I wasn't allowed to even see him the last 8 years of his life because he said he would kill me if he did. He treated his wife and kids terribly and like his wife considered his grand kids an unnecessary annoyance at christmas and thanksgiving and was always in a foul mood because he wanted our parents to leave us with sitters at home instead of taking us to see our grandparents. I guess if i really had any sort of relationship with the guy, it might mean something to me, but it doesn't.

Also thanks for your posts guys. I got a recommendation of a watch guy to take it to that might be able to open it up and tell me a bit more specifics about the movement. If i hear anything i'll report back here.

Also this forum is very strange. Why is there an attachment of somebody elses black watch i have never seen before in my OP? I certainly did not put that there.
    Last edited by baserock love; February 3rd, 2011 at 03:07.

Quote Originally Posted by baserock love View Post
    Unfortunately, i know very little about watches (I'm quite enjoying lurking on this forum, that may soon change.). If theres a way to open up the bottom without buying any tools or harming it in any way, i'd be happy to take some pics.

Also this forum is very strange. Why is there an attachment of somebody elses black watch i have never seen before in my OP? I certainly did not put that there.
    Hi again. Opening the back usually does require a special tool - otherwise you can scratch it horribly and still fail. Its sometimes possible to unscrew the back with the help of a a piece of soft rubbery stuff to give grip - but only if its not been screwed on tight in the first place.

The stray picture upload is a recent software glitch that the site owner is aware of and has asked his tech support team to address. It has happened to me as well. Sorry for that. I can't remove it for you - it doesn't show when I try to edit the post.
    Last edited by Marrick; February 3rd, 2011 at 06:44.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by baserock love View Post
    The watch has no sentimental value for me and i'm not a fan of jewelry on men, so i think i look ridiculous in a gold watch. With another leather band, it could be dressy, so if it's worthless, i suppose i might just hang onto it. If it's worth something, even a few hundred bucks i'd love to sell it.
    If your grandad wore it for 50 years and kept it in such mint condition, it must have been important to him. I would suggest, even if it is worth something, to give it to someone in the family who would appreciate the sentimental value. No matter what big bucks u may get out of it, nothing can buy back the sentimental value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information