My Grandfather's watches.
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My Grandfather's watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Grandfather's watches.

My Grandfather passed away early this past week at the age of 86. We were very close when I was a child. I brought my family up to my parents for the friday funeral and we stayed here for the weekend. Today I stopped by to visit with my grandmother and she gave me his old Pocket watch. It is an old Illinois Watch Co creation passed down to him from his uncle. I opened it and the serial dates it to 1921. My grandmother had it "cleaned" several years ago at a local jeweler for $70 and it seems to be ticking away nicely. No idea if that means it had a full service.

Probably the finest Father's Day gift I have received and I will treasure it until I pass it down
    Attached Images Attached Images

JP71624, 6omega, Paleotime and 4 others like this.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Re: My Grandfather's watches.

She also gave me this one. It is an automatic and is actually ticking away. I know nothing further about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    JP71624 and Stigmata like this.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    . . . . I opened it and the serial dates it to 1921. . . . . . .
    Grade 305, Qty 1600, 16S, 17j, Model 7
    dnslater likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hate the circumstances, but it's cool to have neat time pieceslike this as heirlooms because they truly can keep ticking away over so many generations.
    Very nice!
    dnslater likes this.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Grade 305, Qty 1600, 16S, 17j, Model 7
    Yep. I found a registry online and unscrewed the back to find the serial #. Caseback said "Wadsworth Referee 20 year" which I discovered was the case make and model. I'm a dive watch guy so I don't know much about vintage pocket watches. I'm amazed at the condition of this 90+ year old watch however. Movement is beautiful. The Coaxial movement in my Planet Ocean pales in comparison.

Kind Regards,
    Nick

A decent watchmaker can tell you if the Illinois needs service. A timing machine will reveal any problems. The other one is still an heirloom as it was your Grandfather's. On that basis alone I'd get it serviced.

I find my family heirloom (a Hamilton wristwatch) keeps me close to my Uncle who had it. Watches are like that.
    dnslater likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have both of my Grandfather's watches - a 1950's Omega and a 1940's Landeron 48, I also have two of my Dad's watches, a Omega Seamaster DeVille and a Rado. I do not wear any of them very often, but I did have them all serviced this year and they run as well as anything I have. They are also the most valued possessions that I have.

I was watching the movie To Kill a Mockingbird this evening, Gregory Peck's character was asked if he Pocket watch was going to be given to her brother, he said yes, then she asked why - "Passing on your watch to your son is something that fathers do..." was the response.

Treasure the watches you have, take the wrist watch in and have it cleaned up (not restored) and services, then wear it proudly. When I wear my heirloom watches, I always feel more connected to my family.

Preserve the pieces and pass them on to your children, it is a great family tradition.
    dnslater likes this.

I have my grandfather's 1938 Longines which I had restored and my great grandfather's Shaeffer's Snorkel fountain pen I also had restored... both are amazing, and truly a testament to high standards of quality.

Name:  6_23_2013_3.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  502.3 KB
    Last edited by Kittysafe; June 23rd, 2013 at 21:28.

My Facebook
    My Store

Small Business • Activist • Advocate feral fur fam • Musician • Equality All • I homeschool my cats

That Illinois is a beauty.
    Lovely white enamel dial, double sunk
    I especially like the 'red' dots beside the numbers on outside track
    Movement is also a piece of art
    17 J with (brass) chatons. Nice micro adjuster regulator.
    Great stuff
    Dates to 1922

ENJOY, it is very, very nice
    Regards
    dnslater likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

My Grandfather passed away in January at age of 87. My Grandfather gave me his Revue pocket watch from 1915 (Passed down from his father) a couple of years ago. I send you my deepest sympathy and condolences for your loss of your Grandfather.

Best Regards

from

Norway
    dnslater and Stigmata like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information