My grandfathers Wittnauer/Longines, any info?

Thread: My grandfathers Wittnauer/Longines, any info?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My grandfathers Wittnauer/Longines, any info?

My father gave me my grandfathers watch a few years ago when I finished up Grad School. I wore it once to my sisters wedding and then it went into my safety deposit box for safekeeping.
    MY grandfather passed away when I was an infant and this is the only object I have of his to remember him by.
    I fully plan on passing the watch on to one of my sons one day, in the meantime I know it is in a safe place.

So I just went to the bank to get something and decided to take a few pics of his beauty. They aren't the best as all I had was my iPhone, but I am pretty happy.

Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? My father believes it is from the late 40s or early 50s. It has the original box and manual as well.
    Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Panerai PAM177
    Bell & Ross BR 03-92 Phantom
    Anonimo Militare 2010 Automatico

Montblanc Sport Chronograph Automatic
    Maratac Pilot 2012
    Magrette Regatarre 2011
    Baume & Mercier Riviera

Re: My grandfathers Wittnauer/Longines, any info?

Hi
    Wittnauer an American company had a long term relationship as an importer of (among other manufacturers) Longines watches into USA.

This watch will have Longines movement
    If you can give me the serial number from maybe the booklet or the movement, I can as Longines for the provenance of this watch, as they have all the handwritten recors

nice heirloom
    enjoy
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi
    Wittnauer an American company had a long term relationship as an importer of (among other manufacturers) Longines watches into USA.

If you can give me the serial number from maybe the booklet or the movement, I can as Longines for the provenance of this watch, as they have all the handwritten recors

nice heirloom
    enjoy
    a
    Thank you!
    I will look for the serial number next time I get over there.

If anyone else has any other info, please share it

Thank you.

Panerai PAM177
    Bell & Ross BR 03-92 Phantom
    Anonimo Militare 2010 Automatico

Montblanc Sport Chronograph Automatic
    Maratac Pilot 2012
    Magrette Regatarre 2011
    Baume & Mercier Riviera

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by az1978 View Post
    Thank you!
    I will look for the serial number next time I get over there.

If anyone else has any other info, please share it

Thank you.
    Pleasure
    Not much more to share without serial no.
    You can Google both Wiitnauer and Longines for company profiles.
    Both were giants.
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Hi

nice heirloom
    enjoy
    a
    Longines and Wittnauer were separate Swiss manufacturers that shared an American distribution network from the 1940's through the 1970's along with LeCoultre and Vacheron-Constantin.

Vintage Wittnauer watches will not have Longines movements, nor will the modern Longines factory be able to help identify them. The Wittnauer company went out of business in Switzerland years ago. I think that the old Wittnauer watches had generic Swiss movements from decent houses like ETA or Schlid. Cases of course were US made, and many may have been the same as Longines cases.

The Wittnauer name was bought by Bulova in 2002, but remember that the modern Bulova company is now part of Citizen Watch of Japan.

Wittnauer Bought by Bulova; Sector Group Sold, Restructured - JCK

I believe that Bulova shuttered the Wittnauer brand sometime around 2010. It is no longer listed on their website.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; December 17th, 2013 at 00:27.

Gatorcpa.
    Good point.
    Maybe I jumped the gun by presuming that since this watch was BOTH in a Longines box and marked 'A LONGINES/Wiitnauer product', that it was a Longines movement. Possibly my bad.
    A picture of the movement would confirm 100%
    Seems strange Wittnauer would mark the box so strongly 'Longines' if the movement was not?

and
    Adam

Seems strange Wittnauer would mark the box so strongly 'Longines' if the movement was not?
    Not strange at all. The name of the US company that imported both Longines and Wittnauer watches was "Longines-Wittnauer Co.", so the caption on the box is technically correct. The watches were still cased and timed in the US, by the definition of our government at the time, they were produced here.

It's nothing more than co-operative marketing,
    gatorcpa

I never realized that they offered Non Longines movements with marketing of both names.
    Yes casing and timing makes sense.
    So if they sold say a Wittnaure watch with say a jaeger movement would the box still say Longines-Wittnauer?

So if they sold say a Wittnaure watch with say a jaeger movement would the box still say Longines-Wittnauer?
    Well, who knows what boxes came with the watch when new...??!??

In the US for many years all of the Longines were advertised as Longines-Wittnauer but I think Wittnauer watches were advertised as just Witnauers... this would be a good question for the new advert books in the NAWCC library! They just put out a table of them and one was for just Longines.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Well, who knows what boxes came with the watch when new...??!??

In the US for many years all of the Longines were advertised as Longines-Wittnauer but I think Wittnauer watches were advertised as just Witnauers... this would be a good question for the new advert books in the NAWCC library! They just put out a table of them and one was for just Longines.
    Yes exactly
    I doubt a true 'Wittnauer' watch would have Longines on the box, then again I really dont know.
    A picture of movement would identify it all.
    regards

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information