My Great Grandfather was a Watchmaker - Advice Required
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My Great Grandfather was a Watchmaker - Advice Required

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Great Grandfather was a Watchmaker - Advice Required

A few days ago I posted a thread about the two pocket watches passed down from my great Grandfather (father's side). I am still having a lot of fun learning about these watches.

Since then I learned that my great great Grandfather on my mother's side was a watchmaker in St.Hilier, Jersey, UK. Furthermore two of his watches were recently listed on antique websites, but unfortunately both were already sold by the time I got to them. I have asked the antique dealers to pass my contact information on to the purchasers, but doubt this will result in anything.

I am now eager to buy one of my great great Grandfather's watches. His name was John Pope Genge, and the movement in the pictures below is signed J.P.Genge & Co, Jersey. The pics were provided to me by Bath Antiques one of the dealers who had the watch listed.

I have scoured the internet for similar watches, but found nothing. I have also searched in several watch forums, again nothing. My next step will be to start calling antique and watch stores in Jersey.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or know of any specific dealers in Jersey or elsewhere who may have such a watch? I realize this post is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for any help I can get.

Thanks for reading, Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by cedargrove; May 31st, 2012 at 05:25.

Re: My Great Grandfather was a Watchmaker - Advice Required

Diligent searching over time with a great deal of patience... Good luck!!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Diligent searching over time with a great deal of patience... Good luck!!!
    Thanks. I expect to have some fun with this over the years and, knowing me, will have a hard time limiting myself to finding just one.

I've already talked to my wife about making a trip to Jersey (she thinks I'm kidding). It looks like a fun spot to visit. But until then, any members here familiar with vintage watch dealers in Jersey?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I have been to Jersey. Once. I agree with your wife.

Will you try to collect several of his watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I have been to Jersey. Once. I agree with your wife.

Will you try to collect several of his watches?
    I would be very happy to have one of his watches, but if I found different models for reasonable prices then I'd likely pick up more.

Hi,

As a very part-time family genealogist, I suggest that you contact the local genealogy societies and I also suggest that Ancestry.com might be of some assistance. They have newspaper records and other publications in their database. I did a preliminary search:

http://............/788hdn2

Also suggest the local historical society would be a good place to contact:

Home | The Channel Islands Family History Society - Jersey

He may have placed advertising in local papers and I would be on the lookout for any retail shops that carried his goods. Some of whom may have original documents, etc.

FYI: He was a silversmith too. He made other items according to a quick Google search: "John Pope Genge" with quotation marks.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by hns-panama View Post
    Hi,

As a very part-time family genealogist, I suggest that you contact the local genealogy societies and I also suggest that Ancestry.com might be of some assistance. They have newspaper records and other publications in their database. I did a preliminary search:

http://............/788hdn2

Also suggest the local historical society would be a good place to contact:

Home | The Channel Islands Family History Society - Jersey

He may have placed advertising in local papers and I would be on the lookout for any retail shops that carried his goods. Some of whom may have original documents, etc.

FYI: He was a silversmith too. He made other items according to a quick Google search: "John Pope Genge" with quotation marks.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

Hunter
    Thanks for this. My father is a bit of a genealogist too, and it was he who discovered my great great Grandfather was a watchmaker an silversmith. In fact he found an old advertisement for his store. This prompted us to search the internet for some of his items.

As a bit of an update, I have not yet been able to locate one of my great great grandfather's watches, but I did found this nice carriage clock retailed by him in the 1800s. I purchased it and it arrived yesteray. I am loving it. It runs very well, gongs every half hour, and even has an hour repeater. I posted in the Clock section, but thought I'd also update this thread.

Mirius, Marrick, Paleotime and 1 others like this.

That clock will make for a great peice of family history and a great conversation starter for guests. Being able to track down watches and other objects by him should provide a lot of fun.

Re: My Great Grandfather was a Watchmaker

As a bit of an additional update, I was able to find on e-bay this opera monocular made and/or retailed by my great great Grandfather. It works quite well, and sits on my mantle beside the carriage clock. I know at one time my Grandfather's job was related to grinding optical lenses, so I wonder if this knowledge was passed down from his Grandfather (J.P.Genge).

I am still on the hunt for a J.P. Genge pocket watch, and missed one on e-bay a few months ago (stupid me). I aksed the seller to forward my contact information to the buyer, but apparantly the buyer wasn't interested (although I indicated I'd make it worth their while).

My parents toured Jersey last year and were unable to find any of his pocket watches, however they did bring me a silver pickle spoon hallmarked JPG, as my great great Grandfather was also a silversmith.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information