My Great Grandfather's Watches

Thread: My Great Grandfather's Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Great Grandfather's Watches

I have recently been considering buying a pocket watch out of curiosity. I was visiting my folks this past weekend, mentioned my interest, and my dad pulled out these two watches that belonged to my great Grandfather. He then gave them to me. I am pretty excited.

I have dated the Hampden to 1897, and the Elgin to 1933. I intend on having them cleaned and serviced. One of the hands on the Hampden may have been replaced as they are mismatched, so I'd likely have this taken care of.

Any advice, input, or information would be welcome. Thanks, Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My Great Grandfather's Watches

Great clean PWs esp when you think about the age. The hands are not mismatched I have a PW with the exact hands

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I think that the hands probably are mismatched. However... It wasn't too long ago we had a thread, I think it was one of Marc's many where he thought the hands were mismatched (wanted to and did replace them with cathedral I think) and everyone agreed. And yet I've seen far too many watches from that period with exactly that 'mismatch' that his watch had (but not the above combination) to be confident about that. However it is true enough that it's nearly always the minute hand that goes missing/ broken and gets replaced with something that fits, and since the minute hand above is perhaps the most common style from that period, it isn't overly surprising if both that and your watch Joe have had the hand replaced.
    Last edited by Mirius; May 29th, 2012 at 13:24.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I think that the hands probably are mismatched. However... It wasn't too long ago we had a thread, I think it was one of Marc's many where he thought the hands were mismatched (wanted to and did replace them with cathedral I think) and everyone agreed. And yet I've seen far too many watches from that period with exactly that 'mismatch' that his watch had (but not the above combination) to be confident about that.
    Very nice collection of watches!

Mirius is correct, it was a recent thread for a Longines 'Mappin Campaign' wrist watch (need to post an update), which had a similar conversation.

Personally (with no real proof... just my opinion), I dont see why you would want a Lumed dial and non lumed hands - what good is that in the dark? I could understand if it was the other way around....

I have found that early lumed hands (cathedral style) are prone to damage and loss of lume (more so then the dials). I have bought a number of pre 1920 watches that have a minute or hour hand missing or badly damaged! I could easily imagine sets of hands being replaced to these solid blue steel hands through the watches life.

I have not come across a old advert with a mix of lumed dial and non lumed hands - that said, how accurate hand drawn adverts are? I would add, having lumed hands/dial was normally a added extra... I have never seen a mix/match offer!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Engrave the owners names on them. Pass them down through your sons/children. The watches may or may not be worth much, but they are heirlooms and worth a lot to you.
    Give them to your kids at age 21 with their name engraved on it as the new owner.
    My handed down old pocket watch and wrist watch thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/adv....html#poststop

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    I have recently been considering buying a pocket watch out of curiosity. I was visiting my folks this past weekend, mentioned my interest, and my dad pulled out these two watches that belonged to my great Grandfather. He then gave them to me. I am pretty excited.

I have dated the Hampden to 1897, and the Elgin to 1933. I intend on having them cleaned and serviced. One of the hands on the Hampden may have been replaced as they are mismatched, so I'd likely have this taken care of.

Any advice, input, or information would be welcome. Thanks, Rich
    This is why I collect,just love the older pieces,thank you for sharing these pics,good luck.

-JS

nice watches! With the 24 hour dial on the hampden, it was probably even made for the canadian market.

Canadian railroad watches had to have 24-hour dials by law, but they also had to be 100% Arabic numerals. Having Roman numerals...yeah...not sure about that.

The Hampden is just stunning. A fine watch of good quality. I wouldn't worry too much about the hands.

The Elgin looks like a typical pocketwatch from the 1920s and 30s. From what I've seen, watches from that period tend to be much smaller (12, 14-size, etc).
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    they also had to be 100% Arabic numerals. Having Roman numerals...yeah...not sure about that.
    Do you have a reference for this? I have seen numerous examples of Canadian RR watches(including Waltham CPRs and CRTSs) with just this sort of Roman/Arabic 24 that I would tend to think they were acceptable at least at some point in history.

(Incidentally, many folks also think that roman numerals were not allowed on American railroad watches, but this was only true after about 1908 or so on many lines, and never the case on others).

As far as the hand mismatch...IMO, neither hand is likely correct, although the spade hand is probably a better match stylistically to the age of the watch than the moon hand. Notice, however, that the spade hand is too short.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; May 29th, 2012 at 19:19.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Great clean PWs esp when you think about the age. The hands are not mismatched I have a PW with the exact hands
    Thanks for your comment. I certainly won't do anything with the hands until I learn more, and even then might just keep them the way they are as that's how my great grandfather had it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information