My great grandfathers wrist watch, he was a pilot in WWI, any information?

Thread: My great grandfathers wrist watch, he was a pilot in WWI, any information?

My great grandfathers wrist watch, he was a pilot in WWI, any information?

I was told I should post this here to find out information about this watch.

My great grandfather was a pilot before, during, and after WWI for the Germans. At various times he was a pilot for A & Aviatik A.G. According to family folk lore (my grandfather, but who knows how much he is actually remembering), my great grandfather would wear this watch when he flew and his pocket watch when he was on the ground. At some point in its history it was fixed and a new crown installed. Sometime in the 60s I guess.

Some information about him.
    Flieger-Album.de ::: Cipa, Theophil :::

Can anyone tell me about this watch?

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My great grandfathers wrist watch, he was a pilot in WWI, any information?

I have no idea, but those are awesome pictures. Hard to belive that its almost been 100years since it started (28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918)

You may have some luck posting here: http://mb.nawcc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29
    Last edited by mikeweb; October 6th, 2011 at 21:48. Reason: link
    Auto:
    Stowa Marine w/date
    Hamilton Khaki Aviation QNE H76515523
    Tissot Le Locle T41.1.423.33

Quartz:
    Mistura Pellicano

Yeah, sorry I don't know anything about that watch, but it is in awesome shape! An excellent story, no doubt. It was my Grandfather that got me interested in watches.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The hands are definitely not original - not only the crown was replaced in the sixties. Otherwise, a very nice watch.

Hartmut Richter

Nice. Yes crown and hands are both probably later 1960s.

This was should have cathedral style hands and possibly lume dots on the indices. Looks like a nice quality movement - but I don't have time to attempt an ID atm.

What a great heirloom and story to go with it. You made my day

Thanks for posting such an interesting watch. I too have a German Aviators watch from WW1 so found yours especially fascinating. May I suggest you post yours here:

GERMAN MILITARY WATCH FORUM - Home

and maybe here...

The Aerodrome Forum

regards

tim

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Nice. Yes crown and hands are both probably later 1960s.

This was should have cathedral style hands and possibly lume dots on the indices.
    I am not sure about cathedral style hands if you mean poire squelette style hands. I tend to think of skeleton hands going with open numerals, both to carry lume like this:

There is no sign of any lume dots on the minute track indices, or place intended for them. I would have expected plain (non-lume) hands to match the numerals like this:

But I could be wrong - I often am . . .

Regards - David

Fair call David.

I assume this watch would have had lume dots on the outer track - I have an original example like this. It is not the usual form, but being used by a pilot...

Thread Information