My Great-Grandmothers 1888 14k Elgin Hunter 4-colour

Thread: My Great-Grandmothers 1888 14k Elgin Hunter 4-colour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture My Great-Grandmothers 1888 14k Elgin Hunter 4-colour

My Great-Grandmother arrived in the US from Europe in 1888 and within a few years her brothers and eventually sons had established jewelery business's in NYC , Atlantic City and Philadelphia. I.m not sure if this was given to her new in 1890 or so or later around 1900 when my grandmother was born.

My mother used to wear this on a chain but then it it a table and the bezel popped off. I spent $260 in 2000 to have a new 14k bezel custom made. (glad it wasnt today!) I pretty much forgot I had this since my daughters would NEVER consider wearing this at their age 21/22yrs. I got it out yesterday and am stunned at how pristine it really is.

Whatever the case I know the movement isnt that exciting compared to other Elgin pockets. But whenever people in the business have seen it they have remarked that the 4 colour motif is particularly pretty And while the un-engraved 'bell' is common the flip side 'jumping fawn' is less so. And the condition overall is stunning. So-in light of the fact its a family piece and wont be sold I wanted to post pics and submit the watch for comments, info and or anything. I never knew that much about pockets. I have since found out that this size-6s-is not very desirable to collectors. (it hard to belive that my PO is about the same size) So -here it is and sorry the pics arent hi-rez . Colours are typical gold/rose/yellow/green. Watch keeps time @ +35 in 24hrs:

and for size comparison:
    Last edited by DaBaeker; December 17th, 2010 at 03:58.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Banned

Re: My Great-Grandmothers 1888 14k Elgin Hunter 4-colour

A very nice heirloom!

Classic clean dial.

Anybody knows how they did the case?

Nice. Who made the case and what are the case markings?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Nice watch Da. An uncracked dial from that era is uncommon, and the fact it's an heirloom makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Nice. Who made the case and what are the case markings?
    No special case marks: "warrantied US assay in an 'eye' and 22296.

My suspicion of how they made these overlays is they first did the engraving.work and then laid pieces over the lids and used extreme pressure and heat to set the coloured gold overlays. to finish they hand worked the peices with tools.

Nice watch. Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it may have been re-cased at some point.

if it was it was done before the 1880 when my greatgrandmother first got it from the jewlery b usines her sons started in atlantic City. She's kept in an a box for most of the past 80+years

Could have happened when she bought it. Back then many watches were sold as movements and cased at the jeweler. The reason I mention it is that I think I can see an extra set of screw marks on the case, but it might be a trick of the light. The images aren't big enough to say for sure.

From the Movement serial number's it's a Elgin Size 6,11 jewel,grade 101 movement made in 1890.The case is what is called a box hinge case.Nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hughes View Post
    Could have happened when she bought it. Back then many watches were sold as movements and cased at the jeweler. The reason I mention it is that I think I can see an extra set of screw marks on the case, but it might be a trick of the light. The images aren't big enough to say for sure.
    The two screws used to set the movement in the case certainly appear to be hand-filed down from round head to 'capsule' shaped. As I said-my great uncle or grandfather was a jeweler so I imagine he picked a peice out that he thought was unique for that time. I also forgot to mention the case is marked "Pioneer" which I assumed was a model and not a case-maker but -?. And if what you say is true about being cased at the jewelers-perhaps my great-grandfather had his brother special order this case from the shop and it was all built in-house? I have no idea and can't even speculate except that it seemed meaningful that the watch is dated to within 2 years of her arrival here. She being the 'Grande Matriarch' of our 'american' family

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information