My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics* - Page 2

Thread: My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics*

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaracer1 View Post
    Thank you. Your vintage and pocket watch knowledge knows no bounds!
    It's a beautiful watch, Aqua. Have you ever used a lever-set watch? I think hunter case watches have the setting-lever at the 5 o'clock position.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaracer1 View Post
    You were right :p

SUPER helpful- thank you!

My only other question is about Duber, Elgin, Illinois and Hampden. When you buy a watch today, it says Omega on it. What's the meaning off all those different companies on my pocketwatch? Shared parts / associated?
    The "Illinois/Elgin" marking was part of a long standing dispute between the enterprising and shameless owners of the Illinois Watch Case Co. (based in Elgin, Illinois) and the Elgin National Watch Company. There is NO connection between the case and the Elgin Watch company, and Elgin fought (unsuccessfully) for years trying to stop them from using the city name in a manner which would confuse the consumer. There's a good history here:

[ELGIN] Illinois Watch Case Company of Elgin and Elgin American
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    It's a beautiful watch, Aqua. Have you ever used a lever-set watch? I think hunter case watches have the setting-lever at the 5 o'clock position.
    Thanks! I have never used one. That's right, 5 o'clock position

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information