My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics*

Thread: My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics*

Family heirloom - My great grandfathers Hampden pocket watch. Circa 1908. The shop fixed the case hinge and gave it a full restoration. Took about 9 months. The wait was well worth it Very pleased with the end result, as the watch was in pretty rough shape. I think he did a great job.

This thing is more robust than I thought. Also, timekeeping is about + 30 over two days. Thats pretty cool for a movement that is about 100 years old! Its nice to have a pocket watch to accompany my wrist watch lineup. This one is very special

The watch maker said its circa 1908 by referencing the numbers from the movement.

Do you know if this watch is "Railroad Grade?" Or was made for railroad purposes, or other purposes? Would you say this is a relatively common watch, or can you see anything unique? Does anyone know about the movement used in Hampdens during the early 1900's? I am also very interested in the case: (Flower, leaf patterns) Watch maker said that it may have some silver, gold or brass plating. Specifically, I am interested to know what the shield on the case indicates. Is this shield a common design / decoration, or specific to some purpose / industry? The nickel and steel inside of the watch is also regulated for temperature change I was told. Pretty cool! Sorry for all the questions - I'm VERY interested in the history of this watch! Thank you!

Last edited by Aquaracer1; October 30th, 2010 at 18:34.

Re: My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored!

Hi Aqua!

A beautiful pocket watch well worthy of being a family heirloom. Your great-grandfather would be proud.

In the STRICTEST interpretations of the term, this is not a railroad watch.

A railroad watch had to be open-faced, with the winding-stem at twelve o'clock, so this would fail, it being a hunter-case watch with the usual 3 o'clock arrangement.

That said, there is no reason why this wouldn't be a good watch. Do you know what size it is or what jewelling and any adjustments it has? You can usually pop open the caseback on watches like this with a blunt knife or a case-knife.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

We can tell you quite a bit about your Hampden, however this will need a clear picture of the movement. Here is some help on how to open your watch:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/op...se-158603.html
    If you can't do it on your own take it back to the watchmaker. He should show you with no cost, it is no witchcraft involved. Seriously, when owning a beautiful watch like yours you need to be able to view the movement, it is the nicest part of the watch. And knowing Hampdens, I can guarantee it is a nice looking movement. And when opening the back, make sure to take clear pictures of inner caseback markings. We can probably tell you about origins of that as well.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello again.

The shield on the case is called a 'cartouche'. It's a flat, open area on the watch-case that was used for engraving. In days gone by, when you bought a pocket watch with a decorated or otherwise unsmooth case-design, there would usually be a flat space (not always in the shape of a shield) for engraving the owner's monogram or initials. The shield was a pretty common thing, though. I had two Walthams (sold one) which both have that design on them.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Shangas and Erik_H: Thanks for your responses! Regarding opening the case, you really drive a hard bargain It took me 30 seconds to open the case with my pocket knife.

Inside the case, the following is engraved on both the outer case and inner case: Illinois w.c.c.o, Elgin, sterling, 1791003.

On the movement: "The Duber Watch Co." Canton, O. Adjusted, 17 Jewels. The number on the movement is: 2467990

Hopefully this info will help you answer all of my questions! Thank you! Here are the pics:

Re: My Hampden Pocket Watch Circa 1908 - Fully Restored! *Now w Movement Pics*

Your watch is a Hampden 16 size 17 jewels model 4 lever set from about 1908. A total of 9900 units were made of this watch. The watch was adjusted, so good quality, but not the best, but still a beautiful movement. The case was made by the Illinois Watch Case Co, it is a sterling silver case. At the time watches were not sold with a case, you picked your favourite movement at your watchmaker and then decided what case to put it in.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

And I promised you that you would find a beautiful movement inside, didn't I?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    And I promised you that you would find a beautiful movement inside, didn't I?
    You were right :p

SUPER helpful- thank you!

My only other question is about Duber, Elgin, Illinois and Hampden. When you buy a watch today, it says Omega on it. What's the meaning off all those different companies on my pocketwatch? Shared parts / associated?

The Dueber Watch Case Co bought over Hampden Watch Co. If you are interested in history you will find that there was an anti-trust law that was passed, resulting in John. C. Dueber buying Hampden. Therefore your Hampden wears the Dueber name on the movement.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    The Dueber Watch Case Co bought over Hampden Watch Co. If you are interested in history you will find that there was an anti-trust law that was passed, resulting in John. C. Dueber buying Hampden. Therefore your Hampden wears the Dueber name on the movement.
    Thank you. Your vintage and pocket watch knowledge knows no bounds!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information