My jump into vintage pieces... and another one - Page 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My jump into vintage pieces... and another one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: My jump into vintage pieces...

Beautiful collection! I'm sorry to hear you caught the disease. I keep trying to cure myself, but searching auction sites doesn't help (nor this forum!). If you pick up any good watch repair skills, let us know, you might have some customers.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Very nice collection indeed.
    I like the old Longines, the movement looks in superb condition.

Quote Originally Posted by sgk View Post
    I think that if I am to make this hobby feasible then learning to service them should definitely be an aim.
    Yes and no. Servicing own watches may sound like a cost saving exercise, but it isn't. My time, tools, and many-many watches acquired to learn watchmaking vs. paying someone else turned out to be much more expensive. But very enjoyable.
    redcow likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sgk

Cheers guys!

vbomega, thanks for sharing your experience and I can very well see the logic behind what you say. I should say that the romance in restoring your own watches lies in finding something discarded and then brought back to life through some tlc. May I ask how you went about learning yourself? Was it purely through learning by doing, or were you able to find more 'formal' instruction?

Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    Yes and no. Servicing own watches may sound like a cost saving exercise, but it isn't. My time, tools, and many-many watches acquired to learn watchmaking vs. paying someone else turned out to be much more expensive. But very enjoyable.
    Well you shouldn't let your bad experiences with servicing watches put other people off.

To service a watch is no big thing and easily learned by some if they are determined, dedicated and
    learn the correct techniques by reading and learning from the masters.

You quote your 'Time', first in your list of expense and claim it is expensive, your 'time' shouldn't even enter the
    equation. If you really want to service your own watches, it is part and parcel of the hobby, when I
    spend my time on a watch I'm not thinking 'jeepers, nobodies paying me for doing this'...If someone isn't prepared
    to put in the time then don't take up the hobby...applies equally to all unpaid hobbies.
    But wait a minute, doesn't this hobby actualy save you money on servicing costs...and if you learn to service a watch
    correctly then you can have confidence that it's been serviced correctly.

Tools? how many tools does it take to service a watch. I've plenty of tools but the tools used in a simple service
    probably amount to less than $150.
    Ed Barclay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgk View Post
    Cheers guys!

vbomega, thanks for sharing your experience and I can very well see the logic behind what you say. I should say that the romance in restoring your own watches lies in finding something discarded and then brought back to life through some tlc. May I ask how you went about learning yourself? Was it purely through learning by doing, or were you able to find more 'formal' instruction?
    Take a look at this topic in the Watchmaking forum: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/gett...ls-688276.html
    This will answer questions regarding tools for servicing watches. As for education - you can do it by reading books and taking TimeZone course. And of course, practicing.

There are certainly ways to do it "cheap", but if you do it "right", it will require a serious investment. You always get what you pay for.

you did very well congrats on the collection
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

I definitely vouch for the Tissot bumper...and not only because I am the one who sold it to you Greetings to Norge!

sgk

Thanks guys,
    Funny to find the seller on here as well, but then again, not surprising. :)

The Tissot is still at the watchmakers and a lot of backlog means no updates there yet.

Some news (old) ones incoming so will post those too...

sgk

As promised, here is the next one to arrive...

Omega Seamaster cal 560 with 14k gold filled case ref. KL 6292.

Seller's photo:

I had a question with regard to setting the date on this movement. I am just advancing past 12, letting date shift, then winding back and repeating until on day before the date I need to set. Would this damage the movement in any way?

So where is the Forum support group... the first step is accepting you need help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information