My jump into vintage pieces... and another one
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My jump into vintage pieces... and another one

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    sgk

Picture My jump into vintage pieces... and another one

Hi all,
    Have lately developed a liking for vintage watches and started browsing this forum. I thought I would also share what I have managed to acquire over the past couple of months or so. I try to provide the info I have, but I am by no means an expert so correct me if I am wrong.

Let's start with the Tissots. These are the seller's photos, as I handed this one over my watch guy.

Was told it has a 28.5-21 caliber movement. Bumper!

Then a nice manual-wind 70's(?)

Tissot manual wind Gold plated Visodate Seastar Seven

Then a Longines Military style dial manual wind. Love the blue hands!

With a 10L manual wind movement. Photo courtesy of seller

And then, the jewel in the crown ... Omega Constellation all original

I have some more incoming and will try to share those later.

The only down side to having all of these is when will I get time to wear them all . Anyway, thanks for looking and if anyone has more info on these then please do share.
    Last edited by sgk; May 23rd, 2012 at 19:05.
    mike184, bubba48, joeuk and 1 others like this.

Re: My jump into vintage pieces...

That's a very nice collection of quality pieces. My favourite would be the Tissot bumper.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi,

You have a very nice collection there... full of quality!

Just to correct one thing... you say the first watch is a 'manual' wind... but as Im sure you're aware, its and Automatic... more accurately... a Bumper!

There is a good table which you can use to date (approx)Tissots from their movement serial numbers:

Hello - new here to the forum!

Which dates your first watch to 1952.

Same principle for the longines:

LONGINESSERIAL

Which dates your watch to 1945

or this site: Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss Dates it to 1944... approx!

You can do the same thing with the Omega serial number... on the movement!

Congrats... great start to your collection.... I say start, as it looks like you may be hooked already!!!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sgk

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    That's a very nice collection of quality pieces. My favourite would be the Tissot bumper.
    Thanks Marrick!
    Yes, the bumper is quite nice. I prefer the logo Tissot used back then and I have a 'Militar' on its way with the same styled logo. I think Tissot should definitely go back to that logo style.

I also wanted a vintage military style dial, and the Longines wasn't too bad of a deal. It has a nice patina and the dial and hands are original. To be honest, being new at this I am purchasing based on aesthetics and how 'untouched' they are, and not focusing on acquiring a certain movement. Of course, I don't have a ton of money to spend, although there are so many out there that I would love to have. The pie-pan is the only one with serious money in it and I find it quite exquisite indeed.

sgk

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Hi,

You have a very nice collection there... full of quality!

Just to correct one thing... you say the first watch is a 'manual' wind... but as Im sure you're aware, its and Automatic... more accurately... a Bumper!

Marc
    Hi Marc,
    Thanks for the compliment and for pointing out the mistake in the text. Indeed, it is a bumper. Thanks for the serial number reference tables as well. I was aware of the Omega vintage database which dates the constellation to about 1959. Now I know the dates for the other oldies as well

Yea, this vintage watch thing has really taken a hold of me. I have 2 Omega Seamasters incoming as well as the 'Militar' I mentioned. How do I stop!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgk View Post

Yea, this vintage watch thing has really taken a hold of me. I have 2 Omega Seamasters incoming as well as the 'Militar' I mentioned. How do I stop!!!
    Sounds like its too late.... no turning back now....
    redcow likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Very nice collection; congrats.

Congrats! A very nice colection - each piece of it very nice and of good quality.
    Best regards, Mike

Congrats on your collection, I also like the bumper movement of the tissot but also I have a soft spot for omega watches, so look forward to your other pics when then watches arrive

sgk

Thanks guys

I think that if I am to make this hobby feasible then learning to service them should definitely be an aim. I was actually googling watchmaking/servicing courses one might be able to do over the summer. Might be too ambitious
    Anyway, as a small step in that direction, I polished the scratches out of the plexiglasses with polywatch . The stuff works quite well. Will move onto the case and see what cape cod can do.

Anxiously waiting for the others to arrive. Will definitely share once they do!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information