My Mystery Cresarrow Watch

Thread: My Mystery Cresarrow Watch

My Mystery Cresarrow Watch

Hi everyone, I just bought a watch that was sold for scrap and destined to a refinery for melting. I have a strong appreciation of watches and history and couldn't resist the temptation when I saw this unnamed piece. I plan on keeping this watch and would like to learn more about it.

I did an internet search for Cresarrow and did not find a lot of useful information and thought I'd ask here. Is it common for watch makers to omit the makers name on the face and approximately how old would this watch be? What do all of the hand-engraved numbers/markings mean inside of the case? Thanks for any help in advance.

Name:  CresarrowWatch.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  714.0 KBName:  CresarrowMovement.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  764.5 KBName:  CresarrowCase.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  684.8 KB

Re: My Mystery Cresarrow Watch

welcome to the vintage forum. this 'cressarrow' is the mark of 'Henry Blank & Co' ( the guy was also a Titanic survivor ) , who was a Jeweler and an agent of C.H. Meylan, A.R & J.E. Meylan and IWC Swiss watches in the US from 1912 to 1959, casing the movements and marking them also from time to time. Also had some marked watches without the movement manufacturers marks like yours from the above mentioned manufacturers. But I couldn't find whose import code is that ' CXO '. Maybe we will have more help from other members. Its not IWC nor any of the Meylans code.

more reading here: Henry Blank & Co and Cresarrow.
    Last edited by Emre; December 9th, 2012 at 06:54.

Henry Blank / Cresarrow would have supplied the watch to a retailer but it is impossible to know which one. The movement looks like it is based on a 6 ligne Felsa 21 or 81 see

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Felsa 21

Glycine also used this movement in their calibre 30.

I suspect the CXO stands for Cresarrow as the importer of the movement.

Sorry I cannot add further details.

Cheers from the cellar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for both replies; I had visited the website, prior to posting here, suggested by you zyk1on and found it interesting. Who would have guessed that watch collecting could be so mysterious? Hopefully, there is some more info on this Cresarrow watch as I'd love to know more of the watche's history. Any additional light on this subject is appreciated.

Thread Information