My new 1970s? Seiko 5 arrives. Fantastic color Dial..Comments Welcome
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By parrotandpitbull
  • 1 Post By joeuk

Thread: My new 1970s? Seiko 5 arrives. Fantastic color Dial..Comments Welcome

My new 1970s? Seiko 5 arrives. Fantastic color Dial..Comments Welcome

Hey folks... This is my first Seiko. A "5" model. I believe its early 70s, perhaps late 60s? Any one who might know, please chime in. Its an automatic, day and date. All functions working flawlessly. The dial is a wonderful iridescent light pearl blue grey. Very subtle and hard to photograph. The first photo is the truest I can get, so far. Daylight shots are sort of flat. I will add a photo of the case back. I had to keep resizing my photos to get them up. Forgot to resize the back shot photo. The #s and letters, for what its worth, because Im not sure what they are a reference to is 0N3951.
    As an added benefit, the band is little used and very nice supple leather. The crown is at 4 and recessed for a nice sleek look. Albeit a little hard to manipulate. Im wanting info on the "5" line. From my research they seem to be not one model type in particular. Any chimes ringing? All in all Im very happy with it. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.
    If you look on eflat at item # 1211295594454 ( disclaimer:in no way associated with the sale of this particular watch) you will see the color. The seller did a very good job of capturing it. Funny, not the rest of the watch, though Im assuming it looks like mine in case form. I would create a link but Im a technical luddite and have had no sucess when I have tried. But pictured there at that # is the wonderous color of the dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by parrotandpitbull; July 14th, 2013 at 07:55.
    JP71624 and Smoking Joe like this.

Re: My new 1970s? Seiko 5 arrives. Fantastic color Dial..Comments Welcome

Congrats the seiko are pretty good watches, you can normally check out what movement is inside with the codes at the bottom of the dial and I think thats how you find the year. Here is mine. And here is a link for finding the year How to tell when your Seiko watch was made (Part 1)

JP71624 likes this.

I have a newer Seiko 5 that I wear on occasion, and let me tell you...the "bubble" crystal on yours makes it look 100x better than mine. But then again, it's not hard to tell I'm all vintage at heart...heh.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice! Good to see more vintage Japanese watches on here.

Smoking Joe...Im thinking, next is Chinese vintage. I have my eye on a Shanghai model with the craziest textured dial Ive ever seen. It is at a price point well above my average. Have some thinking to do. This may be food for another thread,but I have considered making a Grail out of the idea of collecting watches from different countries that produced them. It could get out of hand though. So far Ive got America, Switzerland, Soviet ? Russia, India, Japan, Denmark and France ( a Sandoz case and dial with a franken french movement) covered. but im making a list and Im making it twice cause....Im not sure what other countries produced. Israel is one, Britain,, Germany and what else comes to mind ? Its just a thought. I will say this , this is the first watch I have noticed people looking at at. I really really like it, even tho its running a few miutes a day off. Hmm as I check it against my cell, it may be smoothing out with constant running . Havent lost a minute since yesterday morning. Good One.
    Thanks for replies. Again, just what is a Seiko 5 ? Googling it didnt help at all. Anyone out there? .

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Very nice! Good to see more vintage Japanese watches on here.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    Smoking Joe...Im thinking, next is Chinese vintage. I have my eye on a Shanghai model with the craziest textured dial Ive ever seen. It is at a price point well above my average. Have some thinking to do. This may be food for another thread,but I have considered making a Grail out of the idea of collecting watches from different countries that produced them. It could get out of hand though. So far Ive got America, Switzerland, Soviet ? Russia, India, Japan, Denmark and France ( a Sandoz case and dial with a franken french movement) covered. but im making a list and Im making it twice cause....Im not sure what other countries produced. Israel is one, Britain,, Germany and what else comes to mind ? Its just a thought. I will say this , this is the first watch I have noticed people looking at at. I really really like it, even tho its running a few miutes a day off. Hmm as I check it against my cell, it may be smoothing out with constant running . Havent lost a minute since yesterday morning. Good One.
    Thanks for replies. Again, just what is a Seiko 5 ? Googling it didnt help at all. Anyone out there? .
    Seiko 5 has 5 features: shockproof, waterresistant, automatic, day and date.
    Yours has cal. 6119 C, a great and popular movement, made between 1969 and 1974.
    The version C has a bilingual calendar and is the most common to find.
    Good watch!
    Yours was made in November 1970 (since it has serial 0N....).
    Last edited by sempervivens; July 14th, 2013 at 16:57.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Thanks sempervivens for the info...I will post a pic of the back I just need to resize it again. Id love to show the movement as well but dont have the tools nor really the inclination to mess with the case back. Oh and by the way, the days is not bilingual. Am I misssing something or ...
    Last edited by parrotandpitbull; July 12th, 2013 at 21:16.

Thanks sempervivens for the info...I will post a pic of the back I just need to resize it again. Id love to show the movement as well but dont have the tools nor really the inclination to mess with the case back. Oh and by the way, the days is not bilingual. Am I misssing something or ...
    You should have a choice of two languages for the day. You will see the second language for a while when it changes over to the next day (should be around midnight). Or when you change the day with the quickset mechanism (by pressing the crown deeply.)
    Last edited by sempervivens; July 14th, 2013 at 16:58.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Lovely looking watch. I have always liked Seikos. I was actually think the same about getting a watch from each country! So far I have Swiss, British, Indian, Japanese and while not vintage I have a Chinese watch but which is a remake of the 1963 airforce watch. So it still looks classic. But as you say, things could get out of hand if you tried to get one from each country. I'm not even sure how many countries produced watches?
    Was your Seiko ever serviced?

I own French, German, British, USA, Russian, Japan and swiss made so far.

Thread Information