• 2 Post By Marc Janks
  • 1 Post By DragonDan
  • 1 Post By timesofplenty
  • 1 Post By sebastian22
  • 1 Post By kurt1962
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: My new Croton Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver

My new Croton Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver

Hello WUS, I have been a member for some time but this is my first post.

I wanted to share and get some advice on this new to me Croton Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver.

I picked this one up on ebay last month, and got a great deal but is has some issues.

Mechanically, it works great, keeps perfect time (Landeron 248). Seller said it had been serviced "recently".

The hands and dial are just a mess. The hands are missing all of their lume. At some point someone opened the watch (most likely to remove the lume dust) and just made a mess of the dial. There are scratch marks all over the dial.

The first thing I would like to have done is have the hands re-lumed, perhaps even the dial.

Any recommendations on what work I should have done and possible sources to do the work?

Thank you!

Name:  2017-10-29 (5).JPG
Views: 220
Size:  1.10 MBName:  2017-10-26 ebay ad (5).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  222.9 KBName:  2017-10-29 (4).JPG
Views: 213
Size:  2.49 MB
    thoth, dennismc01, derids and 2 others like this.

Re: My new Croton Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver

Welcome to WuS and thanks for posting photos of your new watch. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with the dial; it doesn't look too bad from a distance, and I think it's preferable to maintain originality unless the dial is completely unacceptable. In fact, that's pretty much my personal mantra when considering a vintage watch; never buy a watch if I can't tolerate the dial.

I would have lume added to the hands. Many watchmakers do this routinely, but you should ask yours if he feels he can "match" the lume on the dial. Keep in mind that it will probably not be a perfect match, but it will look much better than it does now.

That's all that I would do, re-lume the hands. Other than that, it's fine. Enjoy it.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

agree, don't mess with the dial.
    sebastian22 and timesofplenty like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

looks like a Landeron 248 (you can just make this out under the balance wheel), and those are workhorse calibers. Nothing at all wrong with them.
    I really like that this watch is approved for use in both atmospheric and sub-atmospheric conditions
    sebastian22 likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

“Liked” the comments above about the dial but gonna say “leave it be” anyway.
    sebastian22 likes this.
    Scott
    I'll be back if/when the forum software is updated.
    Until then:
    contact timesofplenty at ebay

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone who responded.

My honeymoon phase with this watch was cut a little short. One day it just suddenly stopped working.

I dont know anything about watch repair in a watch this complicated but I found some pictures of the same movement and while comparing to mine I realized I was missing a spring, the lever return spring for the bottom pusher that stops and resets the chrono.

Upon further inspection i found the missing spring jammed up in the gears. I made no attempt to remove it but Ill be taking it in for service.

I went back and looked at the pictures and in the picture above you can see the spring is missing but it is lodged between the movement and case on the lower right side of the picture. Then I wore the watch a few times and the thing came loose and got into a worse place. Goes to show to always have vintage time pieces checked before wear. Hopefully it didnt cause too much damage.
    badbackdan likes this.

My friend just came into the exact watch from his father-in-law. It winds and keeps time yet when he activated the chrono the watch stops as the chrono works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sebastian22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
    Just wanted to come back and thank everyone who responded.

My honeymoon phase with this watch was cut a little short. One day it just suddenly stopped working.

I dont know anything about watch repair in a watch this complicated but I found some pictures of the same movement and while comparing to mine I realized I was missing a spring, the lever return spring for the bottom pusher that stops and resets the chrono.

Upon further inspection i found the missing spring jammed up in the gears. I made no attempt to remove it but Ill be taking it in for service.

I went back and looked at the pictures and in the picture above you can see the spring is missing but it is lodged between the movement and case on the lower right side of the picture. Then I wore the watch a few times and the thing came loose and got into a worse place. Goes to show to always have vintage time pieces checked before wear. Hopefully it didnt cause too much damage.
    That's bad luck ... fingers crossed that it will be a simple repair.

I initially thought you had made a typo when you said that the lower pusher both stops and resets the chronograph. But then I googled the Landeron 248 and learned that this is a quirk of that particular movement. Interesting.
    sebastian22 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Im back with good news, my watch is back from service and looking very nice but more importantly working great.

I took it to a local watchmaker and they did a complete overhaul of the movement and fixed all the issues. I asked them to only clean the dial, but I did have the hands re lumed. Lastly I had them replace the chrono recorder hand with a red one that seems to match every other picture I have ever seen of this watch. Im very happy now with this watch, still has some flaws but I love it.

Attachment 12899113

Thread Information