My "New" LeCoultre

Thread: My "New" LeCoultre

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My "New" LeCoultre

Alright, I was told to get opinions on this site before buying anything and I tried to follow that advice. However, this site was down and I'm surfing ebay early in the morning. The guy wants $1500 OBO for a watch. I made a very low offer like I had done for a lot of Pateks and been ignored or rejected. The guy accepts my offer.

So, a few days later I wearing the watch and I think it is sharp. I just wanted comments or opinions and/or someone tell me that I am an idiot. Eventually, I will still purchace my vintage Patek, but that will be on hold for now as at least I have a dress watch. I have to say that the watch looks even cleaner in person than in the pictures:

This vintage 1960s Le Coultre Master Mariner 14k solid gold mans high grade automatic mans wrist watch has an excellent case and a very good original dial with some slight aging at the outer perimeter between the 8 and 1 solid gold raised markers. Keeping excellent time, with the date functioning perfectly. Case measures 39 by 35 mm excluding the Le coultre marked crown. I have added a new brown stitched leather band and a new reflector crystal to this extremely fine timepiece.

I am an expert watchmaker and jeweler with over 25 years experience. However I do not have the time to expertly go though every vintage timepiece I acquire. These are mostly vintage watches and there is no warrantee the watch will keep exact time or be water resistant. Every watch is sold as is where is. As any fine watch it may require service by your local watchmaker.

Re: My "New" LeCoultre

It looks really good to me

Inactive

Super nice! :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks very, very, good. Not that I have any expertise - but I'd be pleased with that.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Cool, so I guess I got a good deal and proved that you can get a good, working watch for $1,000. I am happy with it. I had just read that come LeCoultre Master Mariners had "common" movements and others had "good" movements. I honestly don't know the difference but I would like to...

Banned

I'd say you did exceptionally well. The 881 is a JLC caliber and is a predecessor of the 889. From the pictures it appears everything jives and is original - except maybe (and I'm not sure about this) the crown is a replacement.

....or should I tell you that watch stinks, but since I'm feeling generous I'll rescue you from your poor decision by giving you what you paid for it if you send it to me? Would you see right through that tactic?

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I'd say you did exceptionally well. The 881 is a JLC caliber and is a predecessor of the 889. From the pictures it appears everything jives and is original - except maybe (and I'm not sure about this) the crown is a replacement.

....or should I tell you that watch stinks, but since I'm feeling generous I'll rescue you from your poor decision by giving you what you paid for it if you send it to me? Would you see right through that tactic?
    Ulackfocus, that means a lot coming from you. I'm glad that I made a good purchase then and I hope to enjoy it for years to come. If the crown is a replacement, at least they were nice enough to use a JL one.

On a side note, I don't like the band too much. Where is a good place to get a quality watch band?

I know nothing about Le Coultre, but it looks fabulous.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post

I don't know ulackfocus that crown looks genuine to me, if not it is a perfect replacement.

OP you did well with this purchase. The watch looks great, but I would find a better strap for it. It's such a beauty congratulations on a great pick up.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PPLover View Post
    On a side note, I don't like the band too much. Where is a good place to get a quality watch band?
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    I don't know ulackfocus that crown looks genuine to me, if not it is a perfect replacement.
    Oh, it's a real JLC crown from what I can see in the pictures. Here's the one on my '65 JLC reference 2285 that JLC installed when they did the restoration:

The problem is that watch should come with a LeCoultre crown. I'd show you a friggin' link if the site I was accessing wasn't so freakin' slow. Maybe, if the God of Interweb Speed permits, I'll add on later.

EDIT: okay, the gremlin was purged and I found the pic. In the top row, 2nd from the right is a LeCoultre crown. The "LeC" looks like it's written in cursive:

Last edited by ulackfocus; November 5th, 2010 at 14:57.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information