My Newest - Another Bulova
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Paleotime
  • 1 Post By howards4th

Thread: My Newest - Another Bulova

My Newest - Another Bulova

Hi Everyone,

I was wandering a car show swap-meet the other day and happened across this one.

Name:  Overview1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  93.0 KB

The watch was clearly filthy but...it was a model I have been looking for. This watch dates to 1929 and is the Crusador (sic) model. The Crusador is a tough find, and is very similar to and often confused with the more common Templar/Templan model which has a similar shape and an identical engraving pattern. The easiest way to tell the difference is the Templar uses the 13 ligne tonneau shaped movement, whereas the Crusador uses the 10 1/2 ligne round movement (10AN, 10AL, etc.).

An additional attraction was the striped "linen" dial - which is pretty uncommon. More commonly Bulovas from this period sport an applied radium number dial, or occasionally a plain finish applied numeral dial. The dial looks to be in good original condition.

Name:  Dial.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  101.9 KB

Opening the back showed the correct date coded 10AN - 15j movement with 4 adjustments. The dust cover is intact. Mechanically, it is in fair condition - the balance is intact but there is a problem with the regulator. The movement is quite dirty.

Name:  DustCover.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  101.8 KBName:  Movement.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  108.4 KB

The back is in very poor condition however, pitted and repaired...

Name:  Back.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  90.2 KB

A quick cleaning of the case and it now looks like this. I will put it on the bench for service soon. I will also be replacing the crystal.

Name:  CleanedOverview.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  102.5 KB

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Paleotime; August 6th, 2014 at 04:11.

Re: My Newest - Another Bulova

Watches and cars in the same place? I don't think it gets any better!
    Congrats on a nice find! as well as an exciting find for you!
    Last edited by howards4th; August 6th, 2014 at 05:17.
    bobbee likes this.

Nice find! That is a very nice model!
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is always a good feeling when you get something you have been looking for. Congratulations!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Watches and cars in the same place? I don't think it gets any better!
    The watch was a semi-fluke (there are always a few at the swap meet, but mostly overpriced) - but the cars were amazing. 7000+ pre-76 American cars - showing, cruising and racing. A great time.

It is always a good feeling when you get something you have been looking for.
    I agree...and the further you get into a focused collection the harder it becomes. Add collecting on a tight budget to that and scores can be few and far between. However, with the backlog on my bench - I should probably be less concerned with adding more than repairing and servicing what I have.

Nice find! That is a very nice model!
    Thanks...

awesome watch; I think it's amazing to find these gems after all those years still intact and having the potential to tick again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I was wandering a car show swap-meet the other day and happened across this one.

Name:  Overview1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  93.0 KB

The watch was clearly filthy but...it was a model I have been looking for. This watch dates to 1929 and is the Crusador (sic) model. The Crusador is a tough find, and is very similar to and often confused with the more common Templar/Templan model which has a similar shape and an identical engraving pattern. The easiest way to tell the difference is the Templar uses the 13 ligne tonneau shaped movement, whereas the Crusador uses the 10 1/2 ligne round movement (10AN, 10AL, etc.).

An additional attraction was the striped "linen" dial - which is pretty uncommon. More commonly Bulovas from this period sport an applied radium number dial, or occasionally a plain finish applied numeral dial. The dial looks to be in good original condition.

Name:  Dial.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  101.9 KB

Opening the back showed the correct date coded 10AN - 15j movement with 4 adjustments. The dust cover is intact. Mechanically, it is in fair condition - the balance is intact but there is a problem with the regulator. The movement is quite dirty.

Name:  DustCover.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  101.8 KBName:  Movement.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  108.4 KB

The back is in very poor condition however, pitted and repaired...

Name:  Back.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  90.2 KB

A quick cleaning of the case and it now looks like this. I will put it on the bench for service soon. I will also be replacing the crystal.

Name:  CleanedOverview.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  102.5 KB

What do y'all think?
    What a beautiful shape, very organic. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Very nice! Looking forward to see it riding your wrist.

Enjoy another piece from the golden age of watchmaking

Best
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Thread Information