My newest Watch: Advertising Valovoline with Hamazawa 5026b Mvtmnt Comments Welcome
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By parrotandpitbull

Thread: My newest Watch: Advertising Valovoline with Hamazawa 5026b Mvtmnt Comments Welcome

My newest Watch: Advertising Valovoline with Hamazawa 5026b Mvtmnt Comments Welcome

Hey Folks. My newest watch and second crossover advertising piece. I also have a couple of questions about it. Its branded Valvoline ( The motor oil company, I assume), most definitely 1970s and is powered by a Hamazawa 5026B movement. Its the second watch Ive bought that was both an advertising piece and a Hamazawa. The first I posted a few months ago, was a neat, blue dialed Sunbeam Watch. Now I am wondering who cased the watches but in the case of the Valvoline ..which despite claims of its "Working well" by the seller, was 5 minutes slow every 3 hours...I missed the opportunity today to ask my watch maker to open it up for me when I went to pick it up after a service session.

I really like the watch. And its not too big for my thin wrists, as I am finding that many 70s pieces are. My questions are these..Ive never owned a divers watch. This watch has a rotating outer bezel. It is very worn but that bezel is marked with numbers and lines and there is a hole in it as well. Was it original painted dark? Is it a divers watch? or just a design conceit? Also does anyone know why the watch would have been labeled , as with the Sunbeam in the place of the brand instead of the way Ive seen most advertising pieces somewhere on the body of the dial with the branding ( say Bulova for example)in the normal place? By the way it came from Bulgaria. I guess with the popularity of car racing ..being world wide, thats not so far fetched.
    Sorry no movement pics. Was in a rush today when I picked it up and I dont own a case opener. Ive sworn this is going to be my last acquisition for years! So wish me luck on that, and any comments welcome. Regards, P&P
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by parrotandpitbull; August 7th, 2014 at 05:19.
    James A, busmatt and bobbee like this.

Re: My newest Watch: Advertising Valovoline with Hamazawa 5026b Mvtmnt Comments Welcome

Nice, and thank you for securing the immediate future for another of these rare beasts! Its looks are fairly typical for the 1970s, with those large, squarish indexes, the C-type case and the movable bezel. I don't think it was meant to go anywhere near an open body of water let alone beneath its surface so yes, the bezel is a design conceit. But never mind - it's an interesting witness of a long forgotten age. (Would be interesting to find out how it got to Bulgaria )

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Re: My newest Watch: Advertising Valovoline with Hamazawa 5026b Mvtmnt Comments Welcome

Thanks for your input Tomcat. I am still looking for answers as to why these two pieces have no Brand as such and are only the Advertisers name. I have seen things like a lincoln car insignia on lets say a Waltham for example but never just the advertisers. And why so shy..I think its a fairly interesting question..that merits at least a theory or 2 from y'all. then again, maybe then..not. Regards, P&P

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My theory about the hole in the bezel is that there might have been a bright orange raised dot in there. But I'm not a dive watch aficionado.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I have several dive watches and have owned these seventies chrome cased models.
    If it has a water resistance on the case back, it might be for diving, and I see the case back mentions such, but I can't make out the depth resistance.

bobbee..There are no numbers just 'water resistant'. By the way this one is all steel. If that makes any difference. And thanks to others who chimed in at last. still no theorie on why it is labeled as it is. I can only guess that they are promos. Regards, P&P

Thread Information