My nicest Vintage Diver 60-70's Belforte

Thread: My nicest Vintage Diver 60-70's Belforte

My nicest Vintage Diver 60-70's Belforte

This Belforte was my nicest vintage diver, WAS being the key word. In july when I was busiest at working on watches I won this on the bay and when I got it it was in need of regulating and general finish work, well I got a new crystal and found an all stainless steel zodiac bezel to replace the aluminum one that was a bit rough, I had some fitment to do with it and it ended up perfect as perfect gets.
    Well I had the notion to take the watch in to my regular jeweler "the old man" to get the regulating done since it ended up looking so good and I had at least 20 watches I needed to move on to the sale end of the process. It was july 7th when I dropped it off and spoke with my regular jeweler (name with held) he informed me his son was going to be taking over the business and would be doing all repairs from now on, ok so on aug 21st I got the call that it was done, yes over a month for a simple regulate, and I promptly went to pick it up, the old man was there.

Well upon inspection I took notice that they pretty much ruined the dial, they smudged some of the lettering at the bottom and knocked off the lume on 5-6-7 markers and the hands, the old man explained he had not seen the watch since his son worked on it and would have the dial refinished well after some time as in 4 months of checking on progress, dec 10th I got tired of the major run around about how thier dial guy couldn't get to it I went and demanded the watch and compensation.

Another week went by and finally they had my watch, not repaired of-course and after some agruing and better business practice advise from me the old man gave me a fair settlement of compensation but I am still very unhappy and told him while his son was standing there that I would not be sending anyone else to see him nor would I be bringing him anything else to work on, much to my surprise the old man didn't seem to care one bit, simply unbelievable. Anyway sadly dissappointed I am looking for someone to do the redial and get this bad boy back to looking new again.

A few details about this Belforte it was made by Benrus late 60's-70's, the case is an out the front solid stainless case so it has a split stem, the movement is an eta 2451 no date automatic, the bezel is a refit 1990's zodiac stainless. Uses an armored ring crystal. Comes in at 40mm dia. 20mm lugs and is about 10mm tall.
    Name:  belforteruined.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  84.0 KB
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Update

Yep that was quick, it was raining all day I was bored and I just couldn't stand seeing my investment sitting there in such dis-repair so I pulled the dial, cleaned off the remainder of the smudged lettering, it came out pretty ok I also removed all the lume since quite a bit was gone anyway, it will get relumed at some point. I found a cool set of hands in my stash and fit them to it so now I am much happier about getting this to completion.

Name:  belforteredo1.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  1,009.9 KB
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    DV 2011

Banned

Re: Update

I'd be a little upset over the poor service and ensuing treatment you received also. Your former watchmaker should let his fumble-fingered son learn on junk watches, not a good customer's mint vintage watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looking good DV, good save after such a shabby treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I'd be a little upset over the poor service and ensuing treatment you received also. Your former watchmaker should let his fumble-fingered son learn on junk watches, not a good customer's mint vintage watch.
    I will remember this one every time I pass his shop and pass it I will, never to stop again. Sad considering I've sent and brought him business for 5 years. His loss
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1961 Omega Seamaster

DV 2011

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Looking good DV, good save after such a shabby treatment.
    Thanks, I simply have to get it back to top shape, it looks like the modern bezel was well matched to the dial markers and that was just pure luck. The hour and sec. hands came off different seikos, the minute came off a folex, a match made in spare parts heaven.
    Now I have a bug to put on a screw down crown, since it is a no date auto I kinda like the idea.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1961 Omega Seamaster

DV 2011

Thread Information