MY OLDEST WATCH????
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: MY OLDEST WATCH????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MY OLDEST WATCH????

50 years of accumulating all kinds of watches without regard to a specific model except lately Gruens. My first oldest was 1872 German Grossmann bought from father, who inherited from original Uncle owner, at junk gold price. It sold before I started accumulating mainly gold watches for investment reasons and before developing a technical and historical proper collector interest, for ten times its cost that was a jeweler appraisal not watchmaker's. Like many I tended toward acquiring the finer late 19th century American. Generally ignored the real antiques as too expensive. However, have a few back to early 1700 English and Swiss p.w. and to me interesting w.w. from near 1900. Am starting this thread to hopefully see some real antiques from anywhere that do not often appear as well as anyones' they choose to show. Looking for oldest, not necessarily a best oldest. My oldest is 1723 George Grahm ruby cylinder recased with fresh dial about 1812 so a relatively affordable one from a fine English maker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 11th, 2013 at 22:53. Reason: 1823 to 1723

Re: MY OLDEST WATCH????

Hi Art,

the watch below is neither the oldest I've ever touched nor one with exciting features for its time, but with over 240 years it is the oldest n.o.s. watch I've ever had on my table. This watch got a service before auctioning it, just to make sure that decomposed lubricants didn't harm the bearings within such a long time. And for me as engineer the most exciting about the watch was, that such primitive verge movement could have maximum deviations between any two positions reasonably lower than one minute daily. Moreover isochronism errors between fully wound and after 24 hours could not be noticed without second hand (well lower than 10s/d though) - so the fusee actually did what it was made for. Finally it was the first verge movement my timing machine regarded as ticking object - it could even identify the strange beat rate of 17280 bph.

Never used (or at least scarcely) was on first glance of course only a suspicion, caused by missing signs of use on the rather soft 22K case. But later the watchmaker confirmed that also signs are missing which are visible in a verge movement already after short use, e.g. marks on the polished verge pallets, and prints the chain leaves on the barrel or the blued trigger of the stopwork.

Here further informations about the movement:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements : Meyer Paris 15'''

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Last edited by Roland Ranfft; December 10th, 2013 at 16:59.
    Roberto Jaksic and kazrich like this.

Well, this one is not mine. It is in the Tompion Exhibit at the NAWCC... but it is an alarm watch circa 1681

Name:  tomption pw 1681.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  136.0 KB

(I wish my pic was better but autofocus does not work well through glass...)
    Noam the Newt likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

1923 Hebdomas "wedding watch." Used to be a pocket watch but now was cased into a wristwatch.

Name:  Hebdomas.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  29.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    . My oldest is 1823 George Grahm ruby cylinder recased with fresh dial about 1812 so a relatively affordable one from a fine English maker.
    hello
    1812? I feel much older
    regards enrico

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Well, this one is not mine. It is in the Tompion Exhibit at the NAWCC... but it is an alarm watch circa 1681

Name:  tomption pw 1681.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  136.0 KB

(I wish my pic was better but autofocus does not work well through glass...)
    That watch 1681 uses one of the first spring balance wheels developed by Robert Hooke and Tompion.
    Robert Hooke patented the balance spring in 1660, but it is generally accepted that Hook and Huegenes invented it in 1675.
    It is a FANTASTIC piece

@Ben
    I bow to anyone that ownes a George Graham timepiece - that IS fantastic!
    kazrich likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

All very interesting and informative. And all not known to me. Roland is doing very well to help us better appreciate the old verge movements. But old recased 1812 Grahm movement is from 1723 not 1823. art b.
    Last edited by artb; December 12th, 2013 at 05:26.

A problem for me is accurately identifying age of the really old ones. This amazingly small old 25mm verge movement may be my oldest. ?? but not if after 1723? George Grahm.

Last edited by artb; December 13th, 2013 at 12:00.
    radger, Emre and kazrich like this.

My oldest is this orphaned V&C movement rescued from fleabay, dates to 1831, likely from a lady's pendant watch. Note the lovely chased cock that spells out "VACHERON&C".

radger and Emre like this.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

FANTASTIC
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information