My parents watches from the 70s (Tudor & Omega)

Thread: My parents watches from the 70s (Tudor & Omega)

My parents watches from the 70s (Tudor & Omega)

My parents noted that I have a liking for watches and showed me what they have in their drawers. They both thought they probably didn't work and both straps are broken. But I wound both and they kicked into life. Tudor is a minute behind per day and Omega ahead by 30 seconds.

My mum has the Tudor which my Dad gifted to her when my sister was born in 1975. I think it looks fantastic, it's symmetry and colour is really appealing. She wears a cheap throw away watch now, but I think I'd like to get her old watch serviced for her and get a new strap. Why not wear a nice watch in retirement? (she prioritises funds on other things over servicing costs).

The omega was gifted to my dad when he was working over seas in Bahrain. His acidic sweat has eroded most of the gold plating on the strap. He doesn't seem fussed about it and said I can have it. Looks like it could make a nice dress vintage watch, but would a leather strap fit to those types of lugs well? So... Thoughts on strap replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My parents watches from the 70s (Tudor & Omega)

You might look into having the bracelet re-plated. It won't be easy to fit a leather strap to that case, and even if you did, it might not really look appropriate.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: My parents watches from the 70s (Tudor & Omega)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    My parents noted that I have a liking for watches and showed me what they have in their drawers. They both thought they probably didn't work and both straps are broken. But I wound both and they kicked into life. Tudor is a minute behind per day and Omega ahead by 30 seconds.

My mum has the Tudor which my Dad gifted to her when my sister was born in 1975. I think it looks fantastic, it's symmetry and colour is really appealing. She wears a cheap throw away watch now, but I think I'd like to get her old watch serviced for her and get a new strap. Why not wear a nice watch in retirement? (she prioritises funds on other things over servicing costs).

The omega was gifted to my dad when he was working over seas in Bahrain. His acidic sweat has eroded most of the gold plating on the strap. He doesn't seem fussed about it and said I can have it. Looks like it could make a nice dress vintage watch, but would a leather strap fit to those types of lugs well? So... Thoughts on strap replacement.
    Yup itll be hard to get a strap on there. You can custom make one though, there are lots of guys on the web who will do it for not that expensive.

Thread Information