My Projects

Thread: My Projects

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Projects

Instead of making individual threads for my project watches, there will be just one and I will update as I go along.

Ok, so first up is a Hydepark from Orfina watch company. I bought it on ebay for $4 with shipping, seller had one fuzzy pic. It had a broken crystal so I replaced it and when I opened the case back a tiny screw fell out. Somehow it unscrewed from the balance wheel, I tried to put it back on but the screw shot out of my tweezers and I could not find it. So I wound it up wore it for 24hrs and it lost 6 min a day. Then I remembered that I had a spare watch with the same movement that I bought that didn't run. I was about to take the hands off the spare and the seconds hand started to take off. I was shock because I had tried to get it to run before, I guess I scared the watch into running . So I postponed cannibalizing the Arlea movement to see how well it would run. After 24 hours it was keeping time to within 30 seconds and I was doubting whether I should use it for parts so I decided to wait and see if a cleaning and oiling would make the hydepark run better.

Well I was also searching for parts for my Bascula that needed a new mainspring. I measured the old mainspring and an Eta 1080 was almost an exact fit. searched ebay for a cheap spare and pics for the movement looked just like the Hydepark and Lente. I look under the balance and sure enough they were eta 1080 movements, must have been coincidence . So the fate of the Lente was decided, it was going to be cannibalized for the mainspring and balance. it was such a nice movement too, well finished and what looks to be a gold or gold plated balance, the quality was a bit better than the hydepark.

here is the link to the picture, its big because I am trying software that makes a collage from all the pics.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Re: My Projects

Looking forward to your progress reports.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Ok, so I have finished cleaning and oiling the hydepark and it has been keeping time so far. It took me two hours longer than expected because I lost the bearing jewel for the balance on the main plate and because the pivots of the train wheels just didn't want to go in.

The bearing jewel is very tiny about 1/3 the size of an incabloc cap jewel. I had to take the one from the balance cock and put it on the main plate, so note to anyone cleaning a watch with shock-resist, don't try to remove the jewel.
    I was only going to transplant the balance and keep the balance cock so that it could be as original as possible but that can't happen anymore. Now the watch has two types of shock protection, incabloc and shock-resist.

here you can see the missing screw from the original balance

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, so I have been able to fix the bascula using eta 1080 mainspring. I have cleaned and oiled the movement and it runs well. Now here comes the bad part, while I was measuring the space in between the lugs for the straps, I saw a small crack in the rod of the top part of the fixed lug. I wanted to test the integrity of the rod so I put a small amount of pressure on it and the lug broke. I will try to see if I can solder the lug back on. Here is the link to original post with movement pics https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wel...er-351413.html

Bridge cut to make it look like two bridges. It was actually easier to align all the pivots into the holes with this movement than the eta 1080.

I use little these little pill containers as parts trays , you can remove the top for easy retrieval of parts and put it back on if you are not finished. For 2 dollar I got 7 small containers and 1 big container that can hold movements and watches under 31mm, these are very useful(bought them from the Dollar Tree).
    Last edited by ltri; November 14th, 2010 at 06:20.

A Belforte

I bought this Belforte for $3 from good ol ebay. It was missing a crown but the sellers pics showed that the stem was still in so I bid hoping that it only needed a crown and servicing. When I received it I fitted a crown on and wound it up and it started running but it ran about 5 min slow in 24hrs. So I cleaned and oiled the movement, filed the stem down a bit, replaced the gasket and cleaned the case. that was three weeks ago and I finally sanded and polished the crystal today. I kind of forgot about the watch because I didn't have any more straps that fit. It now runs about +30 seconds a day and I haven't touched the regulator yet.

Sorry I didn't take many pictures I forget to take pictures of all the steps, I usually only take a few pictures to remember were all the parts go. Also the servicing took longer than expected because I knocked the parts tray off the side of the desk and the parts were all over the floor. luckily the balance wasn't in the tray but it took me half an hour playing 52 parts pickup. I found all the parts except for one screw. two days later I found the screw while looking for another part that I had dropped from a different watch I was cleaning.

what movement is it? I trade pics for movement ID, fair trade right . From what I know Belforte was a brand of Benrus that was of the same or lower quality. from the examples that I have Belforte movements are not as well finished as Benrus
    these were pre-cleaning pics

At first I didn't care for the dial but now that the crystal is all polished up the more I look
    at it the more I like it.

The hour markers are all shiny like they are chrome plated but its hard to see in the pictures.
    There is a radium burn mark on the dial from where the hour hand has, which is closest to the dial, sat unmoved for who knows how many years or decades
    Last edited by ltri; December 24th, 2010 at 06:22.

Re: A Belforte

Quote Originally Posted by ltri View Post
    So I cleaned and oiled the movement, filed the stem down a bit, replaced the gasket and cleaned the case. that was three weeks ago and I finally sanded and polished the crystal today. I kind of forgot about the watch because I didn't have any more straps that fit. It now runs about +30 seconds a day and I haven't touched the regulator yet.
    Nice work

Sorry I didn't take many pictures I forget to take pictures of all the steps, I usually only take a few pictures to remember were all the parts go. Also the servicing took longer than expected because I knocked the parts tray off the side of the desk and the parts were all over the floor. luckily the balance wasn't in the tray but it took me half an hour playing 52 parts pickup. I found all the parts except for one screw. two days later I found the screw while looking for another part that I had dropped from a different watch I was cleaning.
    I am seriously in awe. It takes me that long to find one screw :-P

At first I didn't care for the dial but now that the crystal is all polished up the more I look
    at it the more I like it.
    I like it, I think its a great dial with cool period numbers.

From what I can figure out from Bestfit, this Belforte 11B was an in-house design.

Here is another one. I got this one from the bay like all the others, paid $3.25 for it so no worries if i break it. The only other one I have seen is Marc's https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ano...and-31913.html. As you can see in my pictures the movement was in horrible shape and after cleaning it still is not in the best of health, its running 2min fast.
    the crystal is mineral glass not acrylic so the watch is pretty old. I was trying to polish the crystal thinking it was acrylic and after 5 min of polishing no improvement. Since I am out of straps I have bought some leather to make my own. the bars were soldered to the lugs so I glued the straps on. I based mine on the design of a vintage strap that i had and I even used a vintage buckle from an old strap that had fallen apart. oh also forgot, I removed the worn crown and replaced it with on I stole from a pin lever watch. Those pin lever watches in my parts box have finally been put to good use . the set lever spring is broken off of the plate so I have to hold the stem out while stetting the time.

click on the picture, it will take you to my photobucket slideshow
    Last edited by ltri; January 7th, 2011 at 22:19.

here is a compiled picture. You can right-click on the image and choose view image and it will allow you to zoom to view the full sized image
    Last edited by ltri; January 7th, 2011 at 22:12.

I LOVE the dial on that one. Radial numbers Not a brand I am familiar with, but looks to be good quality. Nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information