My Smiths Empire watch doesn't say where it's made on the face

Thread: My Smiths Empire watch doesn't say where it's made on the face

My Smiths Empire watch doesn't say where it's made on the face

What does it mean if my Smiths Empire 'Bullseye' doesn't say made in gt Britain on the face. It's apparently 50s black centre to the dial. 3, 6, 9, 12 are numbered with gold diamonds at the other number points. I've not had the back off yet. Where is the movement likely to be from? There's signs of age on the dial around the numbers do i don't think it's been refinished.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: My Smiths Empire watch doesn't say where it's made on the face

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyguitar View Post
    What does it mean if my Smiths Empire 'Bullseye' doesn't say made in gt Britain on the face. It's apparently 50s black centre to the dial. 3, 6, 9, 12 are numbered with gold diamonds at the other number points. I've not had the back off yet. Where is the movement likely to be from? There's signs of age on the dial around the numbers do i don't think it's been refinished.
    Smiths Empire watches were all made by the Anglo-Celtic Watch Company in Ystradgynlais, Wales. The PY movement used in the pocket watch is descended from the American Ingersoll Yankee from the turn of the century via British Ingersoll (partners with Smiths in the Anglo-Celtic joint venture) who made it up until the 1930s.

As I understand it, the Enfield clock company was relocated to right next to Anglo-Celtic and may have been the manufacturer of the cases used for the Smiths Empire and Ingersoll Triumph pocket watches.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information