MY TWO POCKET WATCHES

Thread: MY TWO POCKET WATCHES

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MY TWO POCKET WATCHES

Hello all.....any help identifying would be welcome. Auntie sent me a couple from the ol' pawn shop her husband used to own when they shut down the business. One keeps nice time and winds smoothly ( cortebert movement) but the other winds like a hockey stick in a bucket gravel....still....it keeps not bad time.....loses a couple of minutes a day.I had both cleaned and serviced of course. I'm told the clunky one ( in sterling silver case is actually a cheap american movement in a good case awarded to veterans in the UK for serving in WW1.Name:  IMG_0194.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  759.9 KBName:  IMG_0193.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  801.0 KBName:  IMG_0192.JPG
Views: 488
Size:  717.8 KBName:  IMG_0190.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  712.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MY TWO POCKET WATCHES

If you could take a very sharp close-up of the first watch taken dead on using the macro setting of your camera Id might be possible.

yeah....awful photos........my new iphone is my only camera at the moment but better lighting will help / I'll edit this post later with better pics. The cortebert is a nicer watch....but the dial name was cleaned off by someone in the past.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I know nothing of cheap American movements, so I would have said that both were Swiss, but then I can't read what it says on the first movement shown.

thanks everyone . ...I must try to get better photos........I've scoured the internet looking a similar 17 jewel movement from Cortebert.....but I can't find one that's the same as this one. I am almost 100 % sure it has the very same hands as this Rolex pictured here......and I understand Cortebert made movements for Rolex wristwatches if not also pocket watches. There is a trident symbol you can't see in my bad photos with initials R S on either side of the trident.
    The regulator design is also very pretty and more vintage style so now I'm inclined to think that my Cortebert may be a fair bit older than 1940 .....closer to 1920 or earlier ? ?Name:  rolex hands.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  90.2 KB

hmmmmmmm.....found my answer here on WUS !.....RS was Rotherham & Sons Ltd .

wow.......I'm feeling like a dog who smells a bone but can't remember where it was buried : I looked through every Cortebert movement listed here :

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements

but nothing similar......hmmmm......4 hours goes by in no time doesn't it ? Not sure.....but all my reading reveals is that Rotherham and sons made cases....but also had a shop in Switzerland AND sold Burens as well. More digging later.
    Last edited by skidfrog; January 5th, 2013 at 06:16.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Bear in mind that Ranfft does not have all movements in his archive - he relies on the watches he himself buys and later sells or the movements that others (like members here) provide him with an ID and pictures of. It is quite possible that your movement is not in his archive.

Hartmut Richter

thanks Hartmut !.........I'm learning about a world within a world here am I not !? I think one of the clues to my 17 jewel version is that really nice regulator.......it's quite decorative compared to all of the other Corteberts .I will keep in mind to send one or 2 more images to Ranfft then to help expand his database / I did find another example of the Cortebert 17 ALMOST exactly like mine here on WUS ......same Rotherham and Sons makers mark too so we're getting closer.

Name:  cortebert movement.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  403.7 KBName:  cortbebert regulator.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  196.1 KBName:  cortebert.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  519.0 KB
    better photos.......the cortebert first.....unfortunately the dial was cleaned perhaps a bit too vigorously sometimes in the past.......but that regulator seems unique.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information