My very first watch purchase!
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My very first watch purchase!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My very first watch purchase!

Mens CARRERA watch with original Tag Heuer 2.91 mo

My very first vintage watch! I know it doesn't even compare to the watches on this site but I am proud anyway .
    It goes well. I do not know anything about this watch even though I have looked a lot. I have found it's very flash and expensive cousins but not this one. Could it be a fake? Would love your opinions.
    Thanks
    Debbie
    Name:  my first watch1.png
Views: 368
Size:  153.8 KBName:  my first watch 3.png
Views: 406
Size:  275.5 KBName:  my first watch2.png
Views: 369
Size:  266.7 KB

Re: My very first watch purchase!

Would love to know anything about this watch, please/

Ouch! Sorry... it's a fake. Real TAGs look a lot nicer!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

yeah, unfortunately that's a fake.

Thanks Eeeb.
    I have a lot to learn . That explains why I couldn't find it too. Maybe I think I should leave it to the experts and find another hobby lol. Still I have had a lot of fun looking at watches over the past few weeks and you guys have been great

Thanks Revisor,
    I told Eeeb, I have a lot to learn. At least it does go and didn't cost too much (probably a good indicator) so will be able to let one of the males in the family use it when I get it cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by ggerlach View Post
    I have a lot to learn . That explains why I couldn't find it too. Maybe I think I should leave it to the experts and find another hobby lol.
    We have all made mistakes. One of the ways to avoid them is to steer away from well-known brands like Omega and Tag - which have been faked for many years - and look at more obscure brands which are cheaper and very unlikely to have been faked.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks Marrick for your help and I will definitely be staying away from Tag & Omega. Even the mistakes I am making are teaching me. Hopefully when I post my second purchase it will be amazing

Quote Originally Posted by ggerlach View Post
    Thanks Marrick for your help and I will definitely be staying away from Tag & Omega. Even the mistakes I am making are teaching me. Hopefully when I post my second purchase it will be amazing
    The TAGHeuer and Breitling Forums offer fake-buster services... post it and the experts will advise (though I did miss one this week... miss IDed a franken as real, so don't feel too bad )
    Dhart likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi Debbie,

Good to see a fellow Australian here.

Like our learned fellow correspondents said, the ostensibly popular brands are somewhat hazardous for the novice; in fact I had a look at my local Gumtree and saw a fair proportion of watches being offered are indeed fraudulent ones.

Watch collecting can be deadly expensive if you go for high-value rare ones, but can also be inexpensive as well. Going the first option is easy, just throw money at it, but if this is not for you, it can be a lot more rewarding. For me, I picked an area which interested me (in my case, Soviet and modern period Russian and Belarussian watches) and studied as much as I could; it's surprising how quickly I picked up information and acquired the "eye" which helped me to authenticate examples just by their photographs. While they are far from costly, each tells a back story and that appeals to me much better than the dollar value or the profile of the brand name among the general public.

It's a great world out there to be explored and don't feel disheartened as you dip your toe in the waters!
    howards4th and Dhart like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information