My vintage Bernex (aka 'Bernie')

Thread: My vintage Bernex (aka 'Bernie')

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My vintage Bernex (aka 'Bernie')

Hi there,

I just bagged this vintage Bernex watch with black dial off Ebay for less than £8 inc postage. It has a 20 micron gold plated case (marked with writing). And when I took the back off, to my pleasant surprise I found an FHF 28 movement in great condition. I guess that dates it to the 1950s or is it later? Nice to see a fairly long regulating arm on it and also those little bobbles (or tiny screws) round the balance wheel. I wanted a black dialled dress watch as I didn't have one before (only a black dialled diver), and I really like the red arrow tip on the second hand. Anyway, polished up the crystal and put it on a tan pigskin strap and it looks pretty sweet, I'm rather chuffed with it. Here's to Bernie the Bernex .

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by billybobman; December 1st, 2010 at 21:13.

Re: My vintage Bernex (aka 'Bernie')

Your the Ebay bargain man, lol

Can't go wrong with that for 8 quid

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    Your the Ebay bargain man, lol

Can't go wrong with that for 8 quid
    Yeah I think that's the polite way of saying "cheapskate" . Cheers .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by billybobman View Post
    Yeah I think that's the polite way of saying "cheapskate" . Cheers .

Ha ........no, this just goes to show you don't have to spend a lot on the 'names' to get a nice vintage watch

How do you search this kind of watches in ebay? I never find this kind of bargains!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tintasuja View Post
    How do you search this kind of watches in ebay?
    A lot of it is luck, patience and trawling through items that have been put into the wrong category.

I have a solid silver Marvin trench watch on its way that cost £5, and all up under £10 incl postage from Ebay.

Bargains are out there. Actually below is the point...

I never find this kind of bargains!!!
    If you can easily find them, someone else will as well - and the bidding will go up. To be a bargain on Ebay they have to be hard to find, terribly photographed and/or wrongly described.
    Last edited by trim; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:51.

Hum... The wrong category theme is interesting... Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    Ha ........no, this just goes to show you don't have to spend a lot on the 'names' to get a nice vintage watch
    Yes that's true, you're right, I'm really enjoying collecting nice cheap, decent little Swiss watches these days and it's always a bonus to find a nice movement inside. It's amazing how much new Bernex watches cost today, the mechanicals start at four to five hundred and go all the way up into the thousands. And I know exactly what you mean about the 'names', they're the ones people usually gravitate towards and are impressed by because they are world famous and have such a strong presence in the popular consciousness. But there are so many great lesser known vintage brands out there, especially Swiss ones, and because hardly anyone has heard of them you can pick them up for nothing, but the quality is often surprisingly good and in some cases almost on a par with some of the big names imo. Also there's a nice feeling of exclusivity to owning a brand of watch that most people don't know about and is a bit less common.
    Last edited by billybobman; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:26.

Hum... The wrong category theme is interesting... Any tips?
    I don't want to tell you too much 'cause then I'll have one more competitor to bid against in the auctions . But I'll tell you this, if you type in "vintage" into Ebay and select jewellery and watches-->watches, you'll get an incredibly long list of items. To get good bargains you have to trawl through them one by one, as trim said, and try and find the "sleepers". Go for ones that you know are working (unless you can repair watches and have the expertise and patience to fix), all original or as much as possible, and in fairly clean condition (acrylic crystal scratches are easy to remove, but not cracks). Have a think about all of the "keywords" that watches you like might be listed under, again as trim said you'd be amazed at how many sellers just don't know what they have and list something good under a very vague or underwhelming title. Don't get sucked in too much when bidding, do your research about the watch being sold and ask the seller questions as you need to, and don't go over your budget. Oh and only buy from very reputable sellers, check their feedback and detailed seller ratings. Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    A lot of it is luck, patience and trawling through items that have been put into the wrong category.

I have a solid silver Marvin trench watch on its way that cost £5, and all up under £10 incl postage from Ebay.

Somehow I've got to get that Marvin redirected to my address, of course I'll pass it on to you after I've given it the all-clear . But seriously, nice one on that, I admire Marvin watches very much indeed and I'd love to own one. Under ten pounds is amazing !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information